Benefits Desired Hours and Benefits Eligibility

My store priorities getting the core full timers their hours. Might not be 40, but will be more than 32.
I think this is what my store's approach is too. And these TMs are the first to be asked if they want OT during Q4 and sometimes even get it.

But can someone clarify how the desired hours works with scheduled hours? Seems like there's some difference of opinion here. I've been thinking about reducing my desired hours because I'd just as soon not be exhausted so much of the time, but it's looking like I'd have to change my availability (currently wide open) to achieve that result.

Yo
I think this is what my store's approach is too. And these TMs are the first to be asked if they want OT during Q4 and sometimes even get it.

But can someone clarify how the desired hours works with scheduled hours? Seems like there's some difference of opinion here. I've been thinking about reducing my desired hours because I'd just as soon not be exhausted so much of the time, but it's looking like I'd have to change my availability (currently wide open) to achieve that result.
u shouldn’t have to change availability to get less hours. Just change desired hours and talk with your leader who makes your schedule.

Yo

u shouldn’t have to change availability to get less hours. Just change desired hours and talk with your leader who makes your schedule.
Yeah. Except I regularly stay past my scheduled out time, having begged for help in the past and received it inconsistently. Often the help I do get is ... not always so helpful. It's always about call-offs and difficulty making the right hires. Can't remember the last time I was told that hours were tight and I had to leave on time.
I know I could just leave at my scheduled out time but I also know that would result in problems like overstocking in home locations while end caps go unstocked and weird back stocking. So I choose to stay and get it done right. And continue hoping for reliable, consistent, good help.

Yeah. Except I regularly stay past my scheduled out time, having begged for help in the past and received it inconsistently. Often the help I do get is ... not always so helpful. It's always about call-offs and difficulty making the right hires. Can't remember the last time I was told that hours were tight and I had to leave on time.
I know I could just leave at my scheduled out time but I also know that would result in problems like overstocking in home locations while end caps go unstocked and weird back stocking. So I choose to stay and get it done right. And continue hoping for reliable, consistent, good help.
Ultimately, you may have to choose between fewer hours and total control.

Maybe try limiting your availability on non truck days to start

Our new HR-ETL is SO MUCH BETTER than the idiot they had before when comes to schedule changes and hours.

TMs got tired of the previous one sitting on approving PTO requests and/or adding PTO to the time card for weeks on end.

Last edited:
If you are staying past your scheduled hours to get your work done anyway, how would getting less hours change that? Seems like it is your choice to work too much?

My desire hours is 40 but I got 27 hours to 30 a week. But last couple of weeks schedule is all weird. They scheduled us 4.75 hours a day for 5 days a week. Why can't they just give us full shift for 3 days instead of 5 days half shift? Could you guys please help me to see how schedule works. Thank you

My desire hours is 40 but I got 27 hours to 30 a week. But last couple of weeks schedule is all weird. They scheduled us 4.75 hours a day for 5 days a week. Why can't they just give us full shift for 3 days instead of 5 days half shift? Could you guys please help me to see how schedule works. Thank you
They schedule short shifts on five days instead of three full days to improve coverage. When hours are short, which is darn near always, they want to cover the busiest times and not “waste” hours on times that are less busy, because it saves payroll, and Heaven forbid anyone has any down time to get any projects done. Half shifts also eliminate the need to take a lunch, which also impacts coverage. If you are usually scheduled for, say, 4:75 shifts and are some or all of them are suddenly cut by 15 minutes, that’s a sign that the store is struggling with hours being cut. I hate to say it but “needs of the business” is the scheduling priority, and if that means TMs have to work five days to get 20 hours that’s how the store will schedule. Pretty much sucks, but that’s how Spot plays the game. Good luck, hope your hours improve.😁

If you are staying past your scheduled hours to get your work done anyway, how would getting less hours change that? Seems like it is your choice to work too much?
It is, but it's not because I prefer it. My problem is that it makes me a little nuts when things aren't done correctly, so if I stay and do as much as I can, at least I'll know that those things are done right.
What I'd really like is what I had before: a consistent, reliable helper. (That TM quit quite a while ago and no one else has been plugged into that spot.) As it is, I'll get inconsistent help, not always from TMs who care about doing a good job. Or I get no help at all because .... call-offs and an apparent inability to hire the right TMs.
I get that OTC isn't an area where just any TM can be thrown into it. It's a little like Beauty in some ways in that many of the items are small and wildly different in price point although similar in appearance. And not everyone is patient enough to pay attention to those details.
So I feel sort of stuck, but yes, it is a choice I'm making. At least for now.

Back