Anyone quit Target for much better retail stores (Macy's, Kohls, & Primark), and even better opportunities like for pursuing jobs in teaching

Presentation at my store just about never works weekends except in "special" circumstances, like when the DTL suddenly can't contain their piss and demands photos of every store's Seasonal set, filled and perfect by mid-week OR ELSE. And our shifts have a fixed start time (early morning at my store). I've had a more or less regular M-F schedule for most of my years at Target.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand this part. What do you mean that Target refused to give you an employee discount? I'm not sure how they could possibly do that, when you were there you would have just used your TM number. And why would you expect a competing store to give you a discount for working somewhere else?
Sometimes when Target is attached to a mall the stores in the mall will give each others employees a discount I know they did this in Indy.

I quit to manage another retail store. Best move ever. Since I retired, when I show up at my previous stores, they welcome me with open arms. I guess that's my legacy. Target was okay. ETL's can be scary having little to no oversight as to how they manage if at all they know how. I've seen team members get burned over personal issues. Others got promoted for being friends with them. And it wasn't hidden. Other than wondering how long a new ETL (good or bad or stinky) would be around and fearing who would replace them, it was an okay job. My recommendation for those still working at Target is to treat ETL's like gods because that's what they assume management is all about. And if you DON'T like how things are done today, it will change: if you LIKE how things are done today, it will change to what you won't like. That's the loop.

I quit to manage another retail store. Best move ever. Since I retired, when I show up at my previous stores, they welcome me with open arms. I guess that's my legacy. Target was okay. ETL's can be scary having little to no oversight as to how they manage if at all they know how. I've seen team members get burned over personal issues. Others got promoted for being friends with them. And it wasn't hidden. Other than wondering how long a new ETL (good or bad or stinky) would be around and fearing who would replace them, it was an okay job. My recommendation for those still working at Target is to treat ETL's like gods because that's what they assume management is all about. And if you DON'T like how things are done today, it will change: if you LIKE how things are done today, it will change to what you won't like. That's the loop.
It was like this at Sears too. I saw so many store and district managers come and go. Department managers too.

When things were bad, I put my head down, did my job, and reminded myself that it was temporary. New crappy policy? It will fade away or be discontinued in due time. Tough it out until then. Horrible new manager? They'll be gone in due time, soldier on!

everything I tried to buy like good clothes or staff like that are $50 to $60. Same with foods and groceries which is ridiculously expensive like you would spending between $20 to $30. The thing that most frustrating me that small bag of chips cost like $8-$12 which is ridiculous. On top of that Target refuse to give me any employee discount in their stores (even more a cup of Starbucks coffee). I once had to pay $20 for a small cup of Starbucks coffee.
I don't believe what you're saying. Target offers to all TMs the TM Discount (10% off, plus an extra 20% on certain wellness items), albeit it's restricted to certain payment types -- cash, check, RedCard, Target Credit Union card, Focus payroll card. Your claim that "a small cup of Starbucks coffee" costs $20 is beyond ridiculous. Your claims about "ridiculously expensive" foods and groceries makes me wonder if you had been living at home with your parents shortly before starting at Target: inflation has hit grocery prices pretty hard. $20 to $30 grocery bill is pretty modest in my experience. Methinks you are exceptionally picky about clothes, I see plenty of clothing priced well below "$50 to $60". P.S. I am very seriously ready to quit Target to go work somewhere else, but the particular allegations you are making are over-the-top and IMHO not believable.

Interesting.

Then again our store still pulls the "clopening" on TMs where they close one night and come in early the next day.

They usually do this on Saturday to Sunday and justified it by stating they are different weeks.

I had actually changed my availability to not start before 2:00 PM because they would change by start time constantly.
I've had worse than clopening. I got scheduled to leave at 1:30 AM, and to return at 6:00 AM.

I left T to count my money, load my ammo, make my target arrows, upgrade my fishing gear and get my instrument rating from the FAA. I liked the physical aspect of the T gig and had zero tolerance for the stupid shit passive aggressive lazy "people" part of the job. Customers didn't bother me, fuckem, take their money, give them a phony grin then go back to the baler or P-Fresh. Good luck to all, save your money because that fucking asshole in the WH will ruin this country if he stays in.

I'd take my dog over Trump. He'd probably just chase his tail and lick his ass all day, but even that'd be better. A sitting duck beats the hell out of someone whose every action is detrimental.

Some of what your saying just doesn't sound right. Like the prices of food and coffee.

whelp the man says no politics so I guess that means I get to doompoast instead....somebody said something about 20 dollar coffee, just give it another half decade and you'll be clipping coupons to pay $12 and extrapolate from there

I'm not a huge drinker of coffee or really anything that isn't water or bourbon but I'm still hoarding cans of coffee sealed in vacuum bags so I can one day resell them after Shit Hits The Fan to actual preppers at a heavy markup of one whole crate of 7.62 per can, feel free to preorder now as I'm more than happy to take your money while it's still good

How was that even legal?

There aren't very many places where it's illegal especially if they are 'right to work' states.
A handful of states and cities have made it so there has to be at least 8 hours between shifts but they even leave mealy mouthed language in there about it being okay if there is an agreement between the employer and employee.
If you have a clear impression you will be fired or not get any hours if you don't take the shift there isn't much of an 'agreement'.

Back