Archived Daily Override Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nauzhror

No Longer Employed by Target
How often is this used at most stores? By this I mean the code that changes every day that can be entered as an override, which was implemented around the time of the credit debacle. Prior to this you used to have to call a phone number and get the override code from someone in an office somewhere.

The primary time it prompts for the code is when attempting to return an item via drivers license when a guest is over their $70 limit. do most of your stores just ignore the limit by overriding it, or is this code seldom used in your stores?

It used to be activated on a case-by-case basis by corporate, past year or so it seems like the Emergency Override Code is always active... Think its meant to be used pretty much whenever as part of the vibe/say yes campaigns. I've seen GSTL/GSA personnel at my 2nd store use it frequently.

It used to be activated on a case-by-case basis by corporate, past year or so it seems like the Emergency Override Code is always active... Think its meant to be used pretty much whenever as part of the vibe/say yes campaigns. I've seen GSTL/GSA personnel at my 2nd store use it frequently.

We used to have to call, and get the code over the phone. Seemed as if they changed that after the credit debacle to fix the issue for guests that made purchases on cards they no longer had (due to being issued new cards). But, yeah, we seem to use it more as a "vibe" thing than as a solution to the credit debacle. It seems to be used far more often to put returns w/o receipts onto gift cards these days than actual exchanges are. It just pretty much seems to be the goto solution of choice for anyone over their $70 limit at my store, but I was curious if this was the norm or an anomaly.

I do wonder though, what's the purpose of it using a new code generated each day as opposed to a standard override prompt? ie. Anyone who can enter their #'s for an override prompt can access the daily code.

I somehow doubt the intention of the code being generated daily is so they can do what they do at my store (give it to certain team members each day so they don't have to hassle a supervisor every 30-45 minutes), but that's certainly how it seems to be used at my store.

You do know that when a guest has hit their limit you can attempt to swipe their most used card/check and it might possibly give them a higher no receipt return limit right? It's an easy way to circumvent that and give them a GC if they are a frequent shopper.

If you have supervisor numbers you can Override Same Dept. Exchange by scanning a giftcard and hitting the Supervisor Override button too. See POS guide

If you have supervisor numbers you can Override Same Dept. Exchange by scanning a giftcard and hitting the Supervisor Override button too. See POS guide

The problem with this is that if it's more than one item, you have to do each item separately. Using the daily override code, you can do all of them together and be done with it.

You do know that when a guest has hit their limit you can attempt to swipe their most used card/check and it might possibly give them a higher no receipt return limit right? It's an easy way to circumvent that and give them a GC if they are a frequent shopper.

Yes, we usually try this first.

I am aware of this, I was more saying that it seems weird to me that the daily override code exists, as opposed to inserting a normal supervisor override prompt in response to K8 since anyone who has supervisor access can get the daily code. The only difference I could figure was at some stores they might give the daily code to TM's, whereas a GSTL would get in far more trouble for giving a TM their Team # and PIN.

My store was part of the test pilot last October when they let us have the daily override code for things. And now it's on the recording when you call 718 that you should contact your GSTL or LOD for the number. I like it. It gives us the latitude to make things right for the guest when they would have said no at 718. Though I'm wondering how many positions they cut by that.

We only give the GSTM the code if it's going to be one of those days where it's going to be a lot of returns that need to be overridden (unused costumes on November 1st, for example).

My store was part of the test pilot last October when they let us have the daily override code for things. And now it's on the recording when you call 718 that you should contact your GSTL or LOD for the number. I like it. It gives us the latitude to make things right for the guest when they would have said no at 718. Though I'm wondering how many positions they cut by that.

I like that you no longer need to call. My question really just boiled down to: Why did they choose to use a code that changes daily as opposed to inserting a standard supervisor override prompt into the POS where applicable.

I'm not actually sure I ever called 718 and had them refuse to give me the override #, but making the guest wait till someone picked up, and then wait while I tell the person on the phone what's going on, and then wait while they generate a code and have me try it all seemed like an obnoxious way to waste my time, the guests time, and frankly the time of the person I was calling.

My guess is that would require a software upgrade to turn the call for a code into a supervisor numbers and PIN. So it my come someday (and break 5 more things in the process) but until then they need to change the override code so TMs who might not use it properly won't be able to memorize it one day and have it for general use.

I've had 718 refuse to override in certain situations in the past. When you call now, the first thing you hear is a recording that states they won't give codes anymore. Funny thing, the POS software updated slightly and now it says for override code, contact your GSTL.

Yeah its changed a bit since I was a GSA. Pretty sure the Emergency Override Code is to be used for everything now.

Makes sense not having to pay ANOTHER person to sit on a phone giving you a stupid code.

718 NEVER gives me any codes or any help or anything. I have since learned and devised various tricks to get around them, and I haven't had to call them in over a year.
Sounds like you aren't aware that there's a daily override code generated each day that you can access via the GSTL menu? I don't recall the exact K#, but it's K4 to enter GSTL menu, and then I think it's Emergency Override Code, which I "think" from memory is K5. That then shows you the code for the day, which is the code you'd previously have had to call 718 to get.

718 NEVER gives me any codes or any help or anything. I have since learned and devised various tricks to get around them, and I haven't had to call them in over a year.
Sounds like you aren't aware that there's a daily override code generated each day that you can access via the GSTL menu? I don't recall the exact K#, but it's K4 to enter GSTL menu, and then I think it's Emergency Override Code, which I "think" from memory is K5. That then shows you the code for the day, which is the code you'd previously have had to call 718 to get.

The Emergency Override Code used to only function when activated by Corporate.

I remember there was an incident a few years back where receipts weren't scanning for returning items, and Corp activated it.

However, now it is ALWAYS activated.

And yes K4 > K5 to get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back