Archived How do I tell the difference between just a talk vs an official coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in the cafe and have been for about a month. Today the ETL took me into her office to speak about what my strengths and weaknesses were. I had been taking about 15-20 extra minutes to close and had forgotten somethings one day and while that wasn't really brought up, we just discussed ways to help me and I was told she'd follow up with me in a week and that at the 60 day mark, we'd speak again. My TL already spoke to me about it and while she didn't seem like she was writing anything official, she did write on a paper like make random lists of the things we talked about. Was I officially coached or was this just a talk because I'm about at my 30 day mark?

An official coaching is when you're pulled to talk to in an off-stage area (such as an ETL's office/pretty much anywhere off the sales floor) and talked to about your performance. These are documented. A coaching isn't the end of the world, but to many about the same thing can lead to a CCA where you have to sign a document realizing what you did wrong

An official coaching is when you're pulled to talk to in an off-stage area (such as an ETL's office/pretty much anywhere off the sales floor) and talked to about your performance. These are documented. A coaching isn't the end of the world, but to many about the same thing can lead to a CCA where you have to sign a document realizing what you did wrong
Then yeah, it probably was. How serious are coachings?

Then yeah, it probably was. How serious are coachings?
It usually matters on what happened, but one isn't that big of a deal. It becomes a big deal once they start happening a lot. As long as it doesn't happen often you're ok.

Last edited:
I work in the cafe and have been for about a month. Today the ETL took me into her office to speak about what my strengths and weaknesses were. I had been taking about 15-20 extra minutes to close and had forgotten somethings one day and while that wasn't really brought up, we just discussed ways to help me and I was told she'd follow up with me in a week and that at the 60 day mark, we'd speak again. My TL already spoke to me about it and while she didn't seem like she was writing anything official, she did write on a paper like make random lists of the things we talked about. Was I officially coached or was this just a talk because I'm about at my 30 day mark?

It also could have been your 30-day check in.

I was gonna say if it is about your strengths and weaknesses it's probably just a check in I would listen to your weaknesses and try and improve though

I was gonna say if it is about your strengths and weaknesses it's probably just a check in I would listen to your weaknesses and try and improve though
Oh okay. Hopefully it was just a check up. Considering she didn't really fuss about anything or bring anything up first. She just asked what I liked, what I didn't like, what I thought my strengths were and what I thought my weaknesses were and then about how I could improve on them.

I hate to say this but you can be coached on the floor without you even knowing it.
If they want to performance you out what might seem like a conversation about things that need to be accomplished can turn out to be a coaching.

Probably pay attention to those 'extra 15-10 minutes' you're taking.
If payroll is as tight at your store as everyone else has been experiencing, you could be adding on as much as an extra hour a week.
Either you need to be more mindful of your cut-off time or you may start seeing more coachings.
And under 90 days enough of those CAN lead to corrective action up to & including termination.

A coaching is generally about something specific you have done wrong.

It sounds like it was just a genuine chat to see how you are doing. Maybe they think you might quit and they are trying to see where your head is at and if they can help at all.

This sounds like a 30 day check in so there is no need to worry. Just listen to the feedback your leaders are providing you. You will be surprised how much you will grow in your role within your 90 days. Good luck!

Probably pay attention to those 'extra 15-10 minutes' you're taking.
If payroll is as tight at your store as everyone else has been experiencing, you could be adding on as much as an extra hour a week.
Either you need to be more mindful of your cut-off time or you may start seeing more coachings.
And under 90 days enough of those CAN lead to corrective action up to & including termination.
Yeah I was thinking that too. She didn't mention it really though. Just talked about how I could better my time management after I said that was probably one of my biggest weaknesses. I'll definitely do better than that though. This is my first real job so I didn't know about all those issues until I started reading on here.

This sounds like a 30 day check in so there is no need to worry. Just listen to the feedback your leaders are providing you. You will be surprised how much you will grow in your role within your 90 days. Good luck!
That's what I'm hoping and I definitely am. Thanks!

I didn't thankfully. Just talked about what I felt my strengths were and how I could improve
usually in a formal coaching you have to sign paper work and they talk to you about something very specific you did wrong. you are totally fine. :)

usually in a formal coaching you have to sign paper work and they talk to you about something very specific you did wrong. you are totally fine. :)

That's a CCA. A "coaching" can be any kind of conversation. It doesn't necessarily have to be "negative". Coachings can also be used for development so a TL can track how they developed a TM into becoming a TL.

They're rarely used that way, but on occasion I'd write up coachings for developmental conversations so I could show my leader the progress I was making on putting TM's on the bench.

"Coaching, statusing, compliance..." LOL @ all these made up terms!

I hate to say this but you can be coached on the floor without you even knowing it.
If they want to performance you out what might seem like a conversation about things that need to be accomplished can turn out to be a coaching.
I know that happens in reality, because my boss does it. However I always coach in an offstage area so there is no confusion to the employee. I feel like it's shady as hell to have a conversation like that in passing and then count it as coaching. I work for CVS now, but the procedures are similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back