Archived How do you become a TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering how can you become a Team Leader, Can an ETL or someone higher promote you to a TL? Do you have to apply like normal? Can you ask if there isnt already a TL (My current TL is a TL for 3 other departments :/) So how can you as a TM become a TL and any requirements needed???

When I was last store-side, to go from TM to TL, you need to first apply online to the available TL position. Then you have to go through a gauntlet of interviews. IIRC, you have to interview with HR, another ETL, and the STL. I've heard that the DTL sometimes gets involved, but I'm not 100% on that. As far as requirements, I really don't know for certain, but I'd assume you'd have to be out of your 90 days and not be on any corrective action. It'd probably also help you if you have a spotless record, good attendance, excellent performance, and showed some leadership ability. The blessings of your TL/ETL/STL wouldn't hurt either.

1) Approach your TL/ETL/ STL about wanting to be a Team Lead. Make that shit KNOWN....constantly.

2) Play the Game
- Target Lingo
- Filling in left and right for no shows
- Be a leader in your department
- Look fresh when at work. None of this 5 day old polo @#*!
- Learn other departments and always remember important figures like sales & red card conversion etc...
- Be all up on guests when they are in the store. Sell that dam Red Card, Attachment, that sweet "Target Experience"...hook them on it and have them fill out a guest survey citing "Viktard is the best I've ever seen at this store. He literally offered to change my oil in the parking lot"

3) Alright! You have been officially noticed and your TL/ETL/STL have officially noticed that you are spot worthy! Lets throw him on the TL bench and give him some extra training.
- Cue some extra training and promises that the next TL position could be yours for the small price of your soul and the continued work you showed in Step 2.

4) Kill another TL for their spot....errrr.... I mean patiently wait for a TL spot to become available.
- Worried that the spot isn't going to become available soon? No #*$@ing problem! Transfer stores! Screw your old store, that one cashier always looked at you funny and you hooked up with that one GSA WAY to many times anyways. The new Super Target down the street looks sick and they need a Food Ave TL who is funny, quirky, good looking, and looking to put in the those hours! Apply to that @#$% through eHR and patiently wait.
- Worried that the new Target store you applied to wont know who you are? They do. If you are good at your job, news spreads. All around the district I am known as the most incompetent APL around...I mean the best.

5) Interview
- Go in fresh as hell. Suit up baby! Don't be a idiot and wear red and khaki like the dude who tried to take my job. Wear a nice ass suit and shine those dam shoes. This is a TL job! You are no longer a cart attendant getting drunk in the back of the parking lot with one of the Elec TM. You. Are. A. Professional.
- Interview with the following: 2 ETL's and a STL. IF the position is like TL Logistics or maybe APL (cuz ETL is slowly being faded out) you may have to talk to a BP or DTL (doubtful)
- Nail that interview. Use Target Lingo, use words like @#$*ing "Synergy", "Red Cards", " P-Fresh", "BTS", "4th QT", "I'll slip you a $50 if you give me this job". Also bring a dam notepad and write stuff down. Are you Albert Einstein? Didn't @#$*ing think so. Write stuff down and engage in conversation. When you leave, shake their hand, tell them the store looks great (don't diss your old store) and walk out like John Travolta's Staying Alive.

6) Pay
- They called you and are wanting to offer you the job! Congratz! Don't let them bully you into the lowest amount of pay in your bracket. Negotiate that mother @#*er!! You are a all star Food Ave TL and you know that you are going to one day be the best in the district. Tell them that and work your way into a extra 50 cents!

7) Congrats. Treat people with respect, integrity, and for @#$*'s sake, recognize your team. They are the true heroes. In order to become a ETL please consult on my other guide

Last edited:
1. Be a photogenic young male/female
2. Kiss ass
3. ????
4. Profit!

This seems promising, as I definitely think I'm better looking than the current GSTL :p Only a bit younger though, he's 30, I'm 25.

Kiss ass?? Pfft. Do your job, ask for more. That's all I ever did and when I put my 2wks in they gave me a great deal more than I was going to make as a service tech, which I did before, and pays pretty well

Most of it's true. Becoming a TL and ETL is 80% knowing the job and making sure that the place thinks they need you to survive on a daily basis. I've slowly made sure that when I'm not there, my store hits bumps in the road. "Hardlines 4" ... "Hardlines 4??" .... "OMG HARDLINES 4 ARE YOU HERE?? WE NEED YOU!!"...."Yea I'm pretty sure he isn't here today" ..." Oh okay, I found a empty package and I wanted him to look at a cool bug"

My Life.

You work on becoming a strong enough cashier that you can train new hires & problem-solve without having to call a GSA/GSTL over all the time; then you learn other areas like Service Desk (doing returns & adjustments), help at photo lab (if you have one) & pulling carts when needed.
Once you get comfortable doing all these things in the front end, the GSAs/GSTLs could eventually trust you enough to cover their breaks/lunches. This gives you a chance to demonstrate leadership. Without it, you'll never advance to any team lead position.

Gsa how is the way to go into that

GSA is just a GSTL with slightly less responsibilities (or arguably more if they do cash office and the GSTL doesn't) and significantly less authority and pay.

They supervise the front end, and should be incredibly competent at the service desk (since if you are the GSA it is you that will be called upon to help solve problems that cashiers have be they on a lane or the service desk). They also are responsible for ensuring guests leave happy and are served in a timely manner (call for backup, send guests to food ave to be checked out, speedweave, etc.).

Probably most importantly, they need the respect of the cashiers, if you can't tell a cashier what to do when they have a problem and have them do what you suggest without them questioning your decision it's not going to work out.

You work on becoming a strong enough cashier that you can train new hires & problem-solve without having to call a GSA/GSTL over all the time; then you learn other areas like Service Desk (doing returns & adjustments), help at photo lab (if you have one) & pulling carts when needed.
Once you get comfortable doing all these things in the front end, the GSAs/GSTLs could eventually trust you enough to cover their breaks/lunches. This gives you a chance to demonstrate leadership. Without it, you'll never advance to any team lead position.

FA something GSA's are usually expected to know? At out store I think they all know it at least on a basic level, but only two (one now, one of the two was promoted to Starbucks TL) have ever worked entire shifts there.

FA something GSA's are usually expected to know? At out store I think they all know it at least on a basic level, but only two (one now, one of the two was promoted to Starbucks TL) have ever worked entire shifts there.
????

Depends on the store.
Our GSAs/GSTLs have never spent any time behind FA/SB counters & wouldn't know what to do. If they were interested, I'd gladly train them but they're more "Thanx but, no...."

My store doesn't require it, but it helps to be familiar with the POS interface in case of register issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back