Archived New team member, have a couple of questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guy's just got hired, worked 2 days so far. Day 1 was orientation and day 2 was some online training and then i got some register training. I was hired as a Sales Floor Team Member Hardlines. I had a couple of questions, some of them probably dumb, but i just wanna be sure lol :

(1)In a regular shift day, are you suppose to use the time-clock machine 4 times if i'm following correctly? Start Work, Start Meal, End Meal, and End Work? Because at first i thought you had to clock out before you go on break, and then when you come back from break, you clock back in again, which would then result in 6 times you would have to punch in and out on a shift day. But then somebody told me just 4 times, I was just hoping somebody can clear it up for me?

(2)From my understanding, you have to work up to 6 hours for you needing to take a 45 minute break, is that correct? So if i only work a 5 hour shift, then i wouldn't have to?

(3)Also when taking your 45 minute break or a paid 15 minute break, do you have to notify somebody when your taking your break? Or will somebody tell me when i need to take my breaks, or will i have to figure that out on my own?

(4)When working your shift, you can't clock in no more than 5 minutes prior and after your shift is suppose to end?

(5)I've heard the term GSTL been thrown around, what does that mean? I know there are TL(team leader), LOD(leader on duty), ETL(executive team leader), and STL(store team leader).

(6)I've worked 2 day's so far, during which they were still setting my information and paperwork up so i couldn't officially clock in. Will they still know to pay me for those 2 days?

(7)I'm about to start a 2 week training schedule where i only work for 2 days, 5 hours each day, which will total out to 20 hours for those 2 weeks. When i initially got hired, they told me i was full-time. My question is this only because I'm still in a training schedule? Will these hours stay like that or will i get more hours eventually?

Thanks for the patience guy's and sorry for the long amount of questions. I'm excited about working at Target and just wanted to make sure on some stuff I was a little confused about. Thanks :)

4 times sounds correct. You will be working with a trainer who explain & teach hardlines. You should get a learning plan for Salesfloor. Ask questions. Spot was dangling a carrot on a stick. You are part time. The worse time will be in January or late December, hours will be cut. Learn all work centers for more hours.

Thanks HardlinesMaster, I just figured with a training schedule i might get more hours than 10 a week to actually be properly trained lol.

GSTL is Guest Service Team Lead.
They run the front of house.

Welcome to The Break Room.

When the holidays hit you will get more hours, but as HLMaster said, your hours will be cut at the beginning of the year. Learn more training centers if you can and call the operator daily to get your name on the callback list. They will soon know your name and call you automatically for shifts if you respond often. It takes a bit to get you into the scheduling system (called "MyTime") so you will have less hours in the beginning. And yes, five mins before or after your scheduled time to clock in and you're in the clear.

(1)In a regular shift day, are you suppose to use the time-clock machine 4 times if i'm following correctly? Start Work, Start Meal, End Meal, and End Work? Because at first i thought you had to clock out before you go on break, and then when you come back from break, you clock back in again, which would then result in 6 times you would have to punch in and out on a shift day. But then somebody told me just 4 times, I was just hoping somebody can clear it up for me?

(2)From my understanding, you have to work up to 6 hours for you needing to take a 45 minute break, is that correct? So if i only work a 5 hour shift, then i wouldn't have to?

(3)Also when taking your 45 minute break or a paid 15 minute break, do you have to notify somebody when your taking your break? Or will somebody tell me when i need to take my breaks, or will i have to figure that out on my own?

(4)When working your shift, you can't clock in no more than 5 minutes prior and after your shift is suppose to end?

You can't punch in more than 5 minutes before your scheduled start time. The timeclock will allow you to punch out anytime after your scheduled end time, but the LOD will get an alert on their LPDA if you haven't punched out within 5 minutes.

You only punch out for your 45-min meal period. You don't punch out for 15-min breaks because those are paid time unlike meals. Since you're in a 6-hour state, you don't get a meal if your shift is under 6 hours, but if it's 6 hours or longer, you have to punch out for your meal before the 6-hour mark. IF YOU'RE PUNCHED IN FOR 6 HOURS OR LONGER, YOU WILL HIT NON-COMPLIANCE WHICH COULD RESULT IN DISCIPLINARY ACTION. In some states like CA, the meal threshold is 5 hours rather than 6. Also, the timeclock will not allow you to punch in from your meal until 46 min after you punched out. Don't forget that extra minute.

At the beginning of your shift, ask your TL or the LOD when you should take your break(s). If they don't give you specific times, plan out your break(s) within the guidelines. Always announce when you're going on break or coming back from break so the team knows when you're off the floor.

(5)I've heard the term GSTL been thrown around, what does that mean? I know there are TL(team leader), LOD(leader on duty), ETL(executive team leader), and STL(store team leader).

The GSTL (Guest Service Team Leader) is the TL in charge of the front end - cashiers, service desk, and cart attendants. Though the person running the lanes at any given moment may not necessarily be a GSTL, they're usually referred to as GSTL on the walkie because they're supervising the front end at the time.

(6)I've worked 2 day's so far, during which they were still setting my information and paperwork up so i couldn't officially clock in. Will they still know to pay me for those 2 days?

(7)I'm about to start a 2 week training schedule where i only work for 2 days, 5 hours each day, which will total out to 20 hours for those 2 weeks. When i initially got hired, they told me i was full-time. My question is this only because I'm still in a training schedule? Will these hours stay like that or will i get more hours eventually?

If you haven't already, HR will probably have you fill out a punch correction form for the days you couldn't use the timeclock. Sales floor TMs are not full-time employees, but depending on payroll and the time of year, they can get 32 or more hours per week (Target's definition of full-time). You will most likely get more hours when the store gets busier (November and December), but training shifts can be tricky to schedule depending on the availability of hours and trainers.

My store has a grid that shows the times we should aim to take our breaks and lunch. Depending on how busy it is though, you might not take it exactly on time, but make sure you don't hit meal compliance. If for some reason the break schedule wasn't printed out, about every two hours is a good rule of thumb. (4 hr shift take one break in the middle, etc).

Your 15min breaks are on the clock (paid)

Depending on your state, you have to take your before your 5-6 hour. You store will probably want you take your lunch before your last hour. Usually its wise to get your lunch out of the way first then take your 15min.
Basically, if you are work less 6, no lunch. More than 6, take a lunch. If working exacting 6, get clarification for the ETL/TL. They may tell you to leave 5 minutes early in these cases.
For Salesfloor, you will take your breaks/lunches by either the direction of the TL or break schedule, or you will follow another. But usually you want to walkie over saying you going on your 30/45 or 15.

Depending on your stores management, they can be real strict or lax. Just be prompt to leave.

You will learn the leadership titles. Just be sure to kiss the STL's butt then the ETLs then TLs.

You should be doing punch corrections when you can't clock in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back