Archived Question about Breaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i know if you work a 7 hour shift you get a 15 and a mean but i work today a 6.50 now that's not 7 hours and if i clock in early ( 5 minutes that will be 6.55 do i still get that 30 or no. I asked to come in early so it would be 7 hours but my TL was stupid and made it a 6.50 shift so now i don't get a meal which is what i wanted. so do i get a 30 or is that a no?

sorry if I didn't see another thread for this......

anything over 6 hours you must take a 30 minute unpaid break. This is why most schedules are 5hrs 30 mins, so not to schedule an unpaid break.
a schedule for 5hrs 30mins, no unpaid break = a 6hrs schedule, with a 30 min break.

Last edited:
I was always told that you have to have a 7 hour shift to get a meal.

It also depends on your state laws.
We have a saying "Strive for Five"... so not to go into compliance, after 5 hrs take your 30min break. at 5hrs 45mins you should be buzzing on an LOD PDA to either go home or take a 30 min break.

but yours could be different by state, it should be posted near the time clock.

At my store, 4 hours is one break, 5 hours is a meal and one break (though they would schedule you right under 5 or at least 6), 6 hours is a meal and two breaks.

My stores had a rule of you must take your lunch by the 5th hour if you are working a 6 hour shift.

Anything over a six hour shift is going to need a 30 minute break.

Here, you get two breaks and a meal if you work seven hours including the time for the meal break. Problem is that a lot of the people in my store who do the break outs are not scheduling breaks in accordance with this rule.

A 7 hour shift is a second paid break.

TheFrigidPenguin said:
Any shift gets a first 1st 15 minute break.

The shift has to be at least 4 hours long for that to be the case here. ie. Our minors do not get breaks for their 3.75 hour shifts.

TheFrigidPenguin said:
Any shift gets a first 1st 15 minute break.

The shift has to be at least 4 hours long for that to be the case here. ie. Our minors do not get breaks for their 3.75 hour shifts.

At my store, the threshold for getting a 1st 15 is 3.50 hours, so even our minors get a break.

You should have a printout on or near your time clock that will tell you what your state law is in regards to breaks and lunches. Make sure that when you get asked to stay late you get any extra breaks you may have earned. Too many times after close when we are zoning people have crossed the threshold for another break. I personally think ETLS bank on the fact that everyone just wants to go home at that point so they would rather just ignore the break. But I digress....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back