Archived Scheduling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on the schedule it has me scheduled as Cashier on a few shifts and Softlines on the other. Is that just a way to allocate hours or will they put me in that area? I was just hired on as GSA and currently doing the training for it. Not one shift is scheduled as GSA for the week after next. Is that normal?

When I was hired for sales floor I had to do 2 shifts as a cashier my first week so I had the training and then I was strictly scheduled for sales floor after that. Maybe you're doing something similar.

When I was hired for sales floor I had to do 2 shifts as a cashier my first week so I had the training and then I was strictly scheduled for sales floor after that. Maybe you're doing something similar.

Dunno, seems weird to me. At least here, every employee is typically trained to cashier (more or less anyway, for some reason only four of our six cart attendants have ever been on a register that I have seen, the other two have never touched a register), whereas cashiers are not necessarily cross-trained. Maybe they do it different at other stores though, or maybe GSA requires more cross-training than standard cashier does, but I don't think so, I remember when our last GSA started, she never had anything but cashier and GSA shifts that I recall.

The cashier shifts are probably so you or your trainer will be on a lane and the other will be support.

The cashier shifts are probably so you or your trainer will be on a lane and the other will be support.

Yeah, our GSA's often have cashier shifts, they then cover the person acting as GST/GSA's breaks and get more hours than the store would be able to give them if we only had them work GSA shifts.

ie. 1 GSTL, 3 GSA's would equate to:

Store is open 14*7+1=99 hours a week but GSA/GSTL get an extra hour per day (come in a half hour early, leave a half hour after close) so 106 hours per week.

They also overlap a bit each day, as shifts are typically 7:30-4:00 and 2:00-10:30, so there's two there between 2:00 and 4:00, so an extra 2 hours per day for 120 total hours per week.

Then take 40 off for the GSTL and you'd have 80 hours to be split between 3 GSA's, and I'm sure they don't all want to only work 27 hours a week, so they supplement their GSA shifts with cashier shifts and cash office shifts (or in the case of one specific GSA, FA shifts).

The softlines shifts though do seem weird to me.

I thought so too-(about softlines) This week and next are all GSA shifts so it was weird to me not seeing it on the following schedule.

Often I see split shifts like this. I was told that there weren't enough hours in (first shift) to give, so they allocate those hours in (second shift). Doesn't necessarily mean you'll be doing softlines.

I just looked at the new schedule and I'm in consumables one day lol. I've never worked over there. This never happened before the new hr girl, so I'm blaming her whether she did it or not

I just looked at the new schedule and I'm in consumables one day lol. I've never worked over there. This never happened before the new hr girl, so I'm blaming her whether she did it or not
Bring that up with the CTL (or the hardlines TL over your grocery department) immediately.

Check to see if it's a training shift, or HR being idiots. Consumables is NOT a guest driven scheduled zone, which means the schedule had to be generated by hand, so a lot of HR people view the hours as, "oh, we have consumables hours, let's schedule XXXX from (insert workcenter here) in consumables, then have them work in their primary workcenter".

I nipped that shit in the bud when they started scheduling backroom and softlines under consumables, leaving me with an opener and a closer in a high volume store.

The softlines could be some cross training also. As a GSA the store may use you in other areas. In my store one of our gsas does GSA, CO, Photo. The other does GSA/ Softlines and another does GSA/Hardliners.

If you are concerned just talk to your ETL or your HR.

I think she (new hr lady) genuinely thinks I'm market trained, possibly because all the new TMs get trained (more in depth than the 1.5 hour training shift everyone got back when I started) everywhere. I spoke with the um pa and she's scheduled during the same time (I only have a 4 hour mid) and worst come to worst, she said she'll help me out. I just feel like that little shift will lead to me slowing them down.

Then again, just remembered, they claim baby is now consumables. I hope this isn't a ploy for baby food zoning. I'd rather learn market.

Also- my last shift was supposed to be a training shift with the gstl- I was stuck on register and guest service the whole time- mentioned to the gstl (who was up front running the lanes, no other GSA up there) my shift was for GSA training with him- response was "I'm not a GSA"

Bring that up with the CTL (or the hardlines TL over your grocery department) immediately.

Check to see if it's a training shift, or HR being idiots. Consumables is NOT a guest driven scheduled zone, which means the schedule had to be generated by hand, so a lot of HR people view the hours as, "oh, we have consumables hours, let's schedule XXXX from (insert workcenter here) in consumables, then have them work in their primary workcenter".

I nipped that shit in the bud when they started scheduling backroom and softlines under consumables, leaving me with an opener and a closer in a high volume store.

THIS EXPLAINS SO FREAKIN' MUCH.

Seriously. I'm still fuming over the fact that instocks gets scheduled under Consumables ALL THE TIME.

I spoke to an hr TM today, err yesterday. She said they're now cross training everyone. A coworker thinks I'll probably like it better than soft lines. I guess we'll see. I thought I'd gotten over my anxiety problems... Until I saw that schedule lol. New things make me nervous in general, but I'm sure in the end I'll feel that the panic was unwarranted. I always do.

I spoke to an hr TM today, err yesterday. She said they're now cross training everyone. A coworker thinks I'll probably like it better than soft lines. I guess we'll see. I thought I'd gotten over my anxiety problems... Until I saw that schedule lol. New things make me nervous in general, but I'm sure in the end I'll feel that the panic was unwarranted. I always do.

Market training is pretty easy. It's wrapping your head around having to work six pulls an hour, incidental culling, filling the floor and cleaning tasks that gives most people the problems.

If you're a mid, you'll probably just be working pulls and stray, maybe doing a little zoning in areas that take the closer a lot of time.

@wokkawokka
Call your HRTL or ETL-HR out on it. When they were still pulling that mess with me, I'd track the TM down and drag them to grocery until LOD started getting their walkie blown up with calls asking where xxx TM was. I'd usually pipe in at that point and say they were in their scheduled department.

ETL-LOG still hates me for that.

Last edited:
So on the schedule it has me scheduled as Cashier on a few shifts and Softlines on the other. Is that just a way to allocate hours or will they put me in that area? I was just hired on as GSA and currently doing the training for it. Not one shift is scheduled as GSA for the week after next. Is that normal?
are you cross trained in softlines? If you are that is probably it, but I could be wrong.

Your gonna love to get cross trained! New challenges are good for everyone and if u already know softlines it's gonna be a pieces of cake! Remember change is good! Keep us posted how it goes n relax you'll do great

Sometimes they do that to "hide " hours...or it could be cross training, I had to help with the 4x5 last week in softlines...I got stuck zoning the panties...

Last edited:
Go back to the gstl comment. Why did he say you're not a GSA? Did they change something and not tell you? Or did they forget to tell him??!!

Go back to the gstl comment. Why did he say you're not a GSA? Did they change something and not tell you? Or did they forget to tell him??!!
He was saying he wasn't a GSA- to which I took as not his job to train me.

I just started learning GSA and my shifts are either GSA or flow/backroom/other. Two GSA's work softlines and the other also works hardlines/starbucks. My STL basically lets us chose where we wanna work to get 40 hours even though we are all very flexible and willing to do what is needed for our store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back