Archived Speed weaving woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and another thing that makes me crazy when speed weaving is when you say to a guest, you can move down to register 12. Then you go on your way to see what's going on on registers one and two.. You turn around and bam.. There's that guest right at your heals.. I will say, what are you doing? They say - following you to a register.

Does - please move down to register 12 sound like - mam, follow me around the front end of the store, look at how I'm running around, talking on the walkie and moving people around, picking up reshop and barking orders a cart attendants?

Ugh......I think some of them are on auto-pilot.

What did you do with that guest? lol That's what I want to know.

My leadership is always on me to "get in there and speed weave more" but they seem to want me to be directing guests to checklanes from within the checklanes, not standing outside the lanes where I can actually see the lines to tell which is shortest. So I end up pacing up and down the middle of the checklanes (we have two rows) so that I can supervise the cashiers and "train" them constantly on red cards, which, let's face it, is what leadership actually cares about.

This is driving me nuts up front. I feel like they want me to be in the middle of each lane too. Yet, the lane is either full of a group (all together), or a parent/family with a ton of kids and/or one of those huge carts that the kids sit in. I can't get through that without shoving someone or tripping over a child. It's ridic! I would KILL for two rows of lanes rather than the one looooooong row of registers.

You sound timid

Hmm, not sure I follow.

The "lots and lots of speedweaving woes" was more referencing the thread title than an actual characterization of it being woeful, but I did think it was ironic that it kept getting busier whenever I took over for the GSA.

My leadership is always on me to "get in there and speed weave more" but they seem to want me to be directing guests to checklanes from within the checklanes, not standing outside the lanes where I can actually see the lines to tell which is shortest. So I end up pacing up and down the middle of the checklanes (we have two rows) so that I can supervise the cashiers and "train" them constantly on red cards, which, let's face it, is what leadership actually cares about.

This is driving me nuts up front. I feel like they want me to be in the middle of each lane too. Yet, the lane is either full of a group (all together), or a parent/family with a ton of kids and/or one of those huge carts that the kids sit in. I can't get through that without shoving someone or tripping over a child. It's ridic! I would KILL for two rows of lanes rather than the one looooooong row of registers.

Hmm, we have two rows too. Is the two rows a iGS thing mostly? Our Service Desk is perpendicular to the lanes, and is register 1, 2, 3, then we have the front row which is 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and the rear row which is the odd lanes. We usually open the even registers for actual cashiers and use the odd #'s for backup.

You sound timid

Hmm, not sure I follow.

The "lots and lots of speedweaving woes" was more referencing the thread title than an actual characterization of it being woeful, but I did think it was ironic that it kept getting busier whenever I took over for the GSA.
That was in reference to Luna saying I was a bully.

Nauzhror, what happens to you seems to always happen to me when I take over for GSA/gstl.. They say - its been slow.. I sigh and thank them for jinxing me... They will say over the walkie to lod, gstl is going on break, pink is watching the front. Then 10 min. Later I'm calling for back up. It makes me look like I can't control the lanes, when in actuality the lines are 3-4 deep. I will say, I need one backup, no two, no, three back ups please.. Yes, three back ups will work fine.

Hmm, we have two rows too. Is the two rows a iGS thing mostly? Our Service Desk is perpendicular to the lanes, and is register 1, 2, 3, then we have the front row which is 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, and the rear row which is the odd lanes. We usually open the even registers for actual cashiers and use the odd #'s for backup.

We have the piggy back lanes with the odd numbers on the outside.. Closer to the racetrack. We put our cashiers out there because guests can see them better..but we do have some cashiers that prefer the inner registers..I say, as long as you can get a redcard, I don't care what lane you are on...

You sound timid

Hmm, not sure I follow.

Nauzhror, what happens to you seems to always happen to me when I take over for GSA/gstl.. They say - its been slow.. I sigh and thank them for jinxing me... They will say over the walkie to lod, gstl is going on break, pink is watching the front. Then 10 min. Later I'm calling for back up. It makes me look like I can't control the lanes, when in actuality the lines are 3-4 deep. I will say, I need one backup, no two, no, three back ups please.. Yes, three back ups will work fine.

I am not a big fan of calling for backup for this reason! I feel like it makes me look incompetent to the rest of the store.

I called for backup and got little to no response, so the LOD came up, hopped on a lane, grabbed his walkie and stated, "If you are wearing red and khaki, I expect you be on a register, now." Unfortunately he got a much better response. (not unfortunate he got a response, unfortunate that he got more of one than I did.)

Was right after he made said comment that we had 12 lanes open.

You sound timid

Hmm, not sure I follow.

I am not a big fan of calling for backup for this reason! I feel like it makes me look incompetent to the rest of the store.
Nooo. If you need back up, call for it. When TM's hear me calling, they come because they know I don't call for the hell of it...I have even said over the walkie 'help me please'
Don't call if you don't need it, but if you need it, definitely call.

I called for back up today and was told by the LOD that the ONE person on the sales floor (who was supposed to be pushing about 12 CAFS by himself) was off limits and that I was basically on my own. We are an A volume pFresh store; how is there only one sales floor team member on a busy Saturday afternoon?!

Another thing when speed weaving that drives me nuts is when I am trying to close down a cashier's lane so they can get to lunch before they hit compliance. Their light is off and I am standing in front of their register facing out trying to direct people to other lanes that are open. Inevitably there will be a guest or two try to walk around me and go to the closed lane. Then they look at me like " why are you in my way?" GRRRR.....

Nooo. If you need back up, call for it. When TM's hear me calling, they come because they know I don't call for the hell of it...I have even said over the walkie 'help me please'
Don't call if you don't need it, but if you need it, definitely call.
Time to call corporate.

I called for back up today and was told by the LOD that the ONE person on the sales floor (who was supposed to be pushing about 12 CAFS by himself) was off limits and that I was basically on my own. We are an A volume pFresh store; how is there only one sales floor team member on a busy Saturday afternoon?!
Even that one tm wouldn't be off limits in our store. CAFs have been left on nights where we backed up and helped guests instead as well as helping pull them (we were almost 30 percent over sales with callouts that night). There have been nights where I carried one of the cordless phones from the electronics boat just so I could answer any call except gs or lod without running across the store.

28 lanes army super. 1-4 are express lanes on the GM side and 25-28 are express on the grocery side. We have 4 registers at GS and 2 at FA. Lanes 11-16 are pretty much only used on Black Friday.

my favorite people who want to wait for their party with a large cart in front of the lanes. everyone else is awkward getting in that lane because they have to move around them and they look like they're ready to check out.

they don't want to move despite 10 diff encounters and team members asking if they're ready to check out.

or the ok, i know you're near the far corner, but if you can get to lane on the opposite corner, there's absolutely no one in line. they give you the "sigh.. i have to walk all that way? should i really go? maybe i should stay here." takes a few minutes to mull it over, and then finally get there and expect no one else has decided to go to a wide open lane.

It happened to me, last night. I was coming from electronics doing some Plano stuff to tsc. My PDA had a dead battery. I saw 2 lanes backed to softlines carpet, GSA on lane. I had jumped on a lane, hit back up button on my register. Waited for radio message. Then on walkie, we need backup on front lanes. We are touching carpet on 2 lanes. My hl team comes up promptly because of the carpet part. 1 hl tm is direct to take GSA lane by me. The guests response was great, they watch me come up, ring them up, & get them out the door. I told them to fill the survey & my name is HLM. I had trained my hl team to come quickly, when on the carpet part is mentioned. That means a serious backup at the front end. Come now. The GSA was slow to understand the concept.
i have "i need an additional cashier" "team i need a response" "who's coming up to the front" then the lod or any etl's chime in forcing their team to respond. i have an extra grid and call people by name.

when its bad, its just "i need every back up cashier to the front right now. " that gets the butts in gear.

TMs in our store are so bad at coming up for backup that we are required to print a grid every morning and call TMs by their names. General backup calls are ineffective. This goes for the TLs too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back