Archived Alone at Starbucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm on lunch right now and the Starbucks I'm working its so bad. I'm on verge of quitting. I told the food manager or whatever that I hardly got trained at the store where I went for my training and she just gave me a look like "really?" And she just put me on register but lucky some customers were understanding that I'm new. So within the next hour we got swarmed with loads of people wanting frappicinos but we ran out of the coffee mixture and couldn't make more. So people started getting mad and I got yelled at by 3 people. This Starbucks is a mess, they're washer to rinse there cups is broke, there's only one blender, my coworkers are quitting sometime this week because they say it's a horrible place to be at and I'm off better at an actual Starbucks. I'm so stressed out and don't know what to do

Can you talk to your ETL-HR about your training?
All of the other - broken equipment, running out of supplies, crushes of guests - is part & parcel of Target/Starbucks & all you can do is learn to prioritize.
Some days I'd have to stick a hand-lettered sign in front of the register so guests could see what we were out of but it didn't lessen the caustic attitudes & snarky remarks.
My favorite was a woman who'd say "You people are ALWAYS out of SOMETHING!" before stomping off & I'd think to myself "Yet you keep coming back...."

Is there a Starbucks Team Leader in your store? When you say Food Manager, I'm not sure if you mean the ETL, Team Leader, or just the most senior Barista. I know the acronyms and all of the different titles are confusing and can be annoying. Definitely go to the HR manager (ETL). Explain that you got inadequate training, and that you need more training. Your store has already made an investment in you, and they should want to make sure you are able to do the job and not want to quit. It sounds like your store has some serious challenges in the Starbucks. Ask to be scheduled for mid shifts where you are not working alone until you are fully trained. I usually don't schedule baristas to work alone until they have been there for a month or so. It means working some cashier/sf shifts to get hours though. I find Starbucks customers to be more patient and generally nicer than Target guests, especially if they know you are new. Not always, of course. Being out of supplies happens from time to time. If you ran out of frap roast, that's a problem--if you didn't have time to make the frap roast, I don't know what to say about that. In a pinch, you can just use espresso instead. Having just one blender is about how much business your store does. My store has one blender, and I can't get another one.

Sounds like crappy management. I would try to get on at an actual sb. I hear they pay pretty good, and (i believe) they have tuition reimbursement if you work 20 or more hours a week.

Most Baristas will tell you that the first month working in this work center felt overwhelming. But most will also tell you that once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad and can actually be one of the most fun work centers in the store (create/try new drinks, guest interactions, fast paced, having a good amount of responsibility even at the team member level, etc). It takes time, but hang in there and everything will work out. I would ask your team leader if its possible to get a couple more training shifts if you think that would help. Also, there are several very knowledgeable Starbucks minions that are active on this forum, and we are always happy to help and answer any questions you have.

Most Baristas will tell you that the first month working in this work center felt overwhelming. But most will also tell you that once you get the hang of it, it's not that bad and can actually be one of the most fun work centers in the store (create/try new drinks, guest interactions, fast paced, having a good amount of responsibility even at the team member level, etc). It takes time, but hang in there and everything will work out. I would ask your team leader if its possible to get a couple more training shifts if you think that would help. Also, there are several very knowledgeable Starbucks minions that are active on this forum, and we are always happy to help and answer any questions you have.

I worked at the starbucks inside target when i first started working there. The best part was making sample cups (me and a coworker would always make sample cups when we were together) and than of course we would always drink one when it was slow and the manager wasn't working that day. We (if the manger wasn't there) would put the frappucino in the fridge if someone made a wrong drink for the customer. I one time walked out with a vanilla bean frap :)

I was reading that thinking my DM would kill me if he saw me make a frapp like that. He's so particular about how drinks are made so we were taught drink by drink what to do and how to do it.

Sounds like crappy management. I would try to get on at an actual sb. I hear they pay pretty good, and (i believe) they have tuition reimbursement if you work 20 or more hours a week.
Yes, Starbucks as a company is way better to work for than Starbucks at Target. Trust me. The pay is average. But you get tips, free drinks, a free food item, a free pound of coffee a week. And yes, tuition reimbursement for those who qualify. The medical benefits are awesome, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back