Transfer question

Currently I have to commute 20 minutes to my store, but a store only 10 minutes from my house is now hiring for my same position. I was just told by my etl that I can't transfer because I have to have a reason to do so and cutting 10 minutes off my commute isn't a good enough reason. Are they feeding me a line? I don't feel like I'm being told the truth at all.

Currently I have to commute 20 minutes to my store, but a store only 10 minutes from my house is now hiring for my same position. I was just told by my etl that I can't transfer because I have to have a reason to do so and cutting 10 minutes off my commute isn't a good enough reason. Are they feeding me a line? I don't feel like I'm being told the truth at all.
Sounds like bs to me. If you feel that you aren’t being told the truth, you probably aren’t. A reason is a reason and it’s not your ETL’s job to evaluate yours. That said, both stores have to approve your transfer and your store can block your transfer if they feel like it. Also, if you are on corrective action you can’t transfer, and it’s amazing sometimes how quickly it seems someone seeking to transfer can suddenly be deemed deserving of corrective action. Just saying. Good luck, hope it works out for you.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the street. Is it a green store? Is it clean? You might not want to go to a hot mess.
100% agree. We have a store that is about 20-30 minutes away from our store that is a hot mess. We’ve had numerous employees over the years prefer to drive to our store to work when they could drive 5-10 minutes from home to work at the hot mess store.

Is this the only reason you want to transfer? I could understand it better if you currently commuted an hour, but 20 minutes isn't long.
Is the other store really that much better? A larger store in my area was so poorly run that the whole back room team left and they had to have TMs from other stores come in to get things put away so floor replenishment could happen. They "stole" our SD and she recruited a couple of TLs from my store to get them back on track. They're doing a lot better now, but it was a real mess for quite a long while.
Are there TMs you can talk to at the other store to get the real story about what it's like to work there?
After some investigation, not just "grass is greener" thinking, are you sure it's worth it to shave 10 minutes off your commute time?

Back