Unpaid time off

I found the info on the Supply Chain Communication share point.

- Beginning Aug. 13, all merit and progression team members can submit an unpaid time off request through the MyTime for Target application.
- Unpaid time off is a new scheduling option for hourly team members to include those within their 90-day learning period, to request time off within their set schedule in advance without requiring you to have accrued vacation.
- The goal is to allow you to request time off in advance of when you know you will be unable to work.
- Unpaid time off is not a leave or a time off program, like vacation or sick time, and is not intended to replace established leave and time off programs that are administered by Target Benefits and Target Leave and Disability.
- Just like any other non-working time, approved unpaid time off hours will not count towards benefit eligibility and your hours could fall below the threshold when annual enrollment eligibility is reviewed annually in mid-January.
- If your average hours fall below 20 hours when eligibility is assessed, you will no longer be benefits eligible. You should monitor their average hours on your pay slips for awareness.
- Mass vacation will remain a process only available to team members who are benefits eligible.
- You can utilize accrued paid vacation time and accrued paid sick time to backfill unpaid time off, though the use of accrued paid vacation or sick time should comply with the time off program guide.
- A request for unpaid time off can be made in any increment and is limited to 14 consecutive calendar days.
- Requests must be submitted 24 hours in advance of the time off that you are requesting, and up to six months in advance. You must cancel your unpaid time off request up to 24 hours before the beginning of your scheduled shift.
- Leaders will continue to approve, waitlist or deny time off on a first come, first serve basis that is anchored to the 5/10% calendar allocation that is utilized during peak and non-peak times of the year.
- If you have approved unpaid time off, you will not be subject to the scheduled-up process following the scheduled-up expectations and scheduled up rotation.
-
- You can submit an unpaid time off request utilizing the MyTime for Target app or web browser.
- You should start a new request and then hit submit a time off request.
- There will be a dropdown with the option for an unpaid time off request.
- You can then select the date(s) and time requested.

wow, this is kinda wild. can see a lot of people using this to dodge unwanted overtime.

this starts august 13 (today as i type this)? afaik they have said/announced absolutely nothing about it at my dc?

but wait, wont unpaid time off surely count against the 5-10% allocation? whats to stop unpaid time off from filling up the vacation calender so it becomes unavailable (outside mass vacation)? there are a few people on my key that seem financially able and willing to literally take as much time off as they're allowed! they are almost constantly on (unpaid?) LOA as is.

heck whats to stop somebody from coming in the day after mass vacation ends, ad hoc requesting the entire calendar as unpaid time off (everything available), THEN, removing themselves on a day by day basis beforehand if they dont want it? You have to think these things through, because there are definitely people that operate like that. There is a guy at my DC who takes days off on mass vac in Nov/Dec with little real intention of taking them. He will usually give them away to others. He kinda feels like he is holding open a vacation spot that wouldnt otherwise be available during fall season if that makes any sense, kind of doing it for charitable reasons. they could i guess always disallow "giving back" time off days, but so far they havent. Their is the two week limit, but you could work with it (take two weeks, skip a day, take two weeks etc)

I just checked and I dont see anything talking about unpaid time off in mytime. It gives options for call in absent, call in late, and simply "time off". Which then brings up a screen that says "request paid time off" at the top. And under type only has pto-other, pto-sick, and pto-vacation options.

i wonder if my dc just disallowed it. they are such tightwads they barely want to approve our entitled vacation time as is. and, we have been in scheduled up for weeks sand the rumor is it will continue until jan 1, so i am sure they are even more tightwady about approving time off of any kind right now. i wonder if that has anything to do with it?

Last edited:
We had an ATM Monday, I was hoping it was part of it but no mention was made. Maybe later they'll announce it if it's for my RDC.

It has to be approved, it isn’t automatically approved. I would imagine if the dc is in it mode, they wouldn’t approve it

It has to be approved, it isn’t automatically approved. I would imagine if the dc is in it mode, they wouldn’t approve it

- Leaders will continue to approve, waitlist or deny time off on a first come, first serve basis that is anchored to the 5/10% calendar allocation that is utilized during peak and non-peak times of the year.

That implies it's handled exactly like vacation requests now. including "peak" season. If they dont utilize the calendar then how do they decide to approve or deny? Sheer whim? Seems dubious.

And there's no mention of any unpaid time off in my mytime. does not seem to be a thing yet for us.

It's currently only being piloted at some UDCs. If it goes well it will expand from there.
I was going to say, I went to the sharepoint I saved the link for and it no longer works.

if they arent already i think they should lock down 5/10% slots for the vac calender.

then if they think they have above that as the date nears, open them up to uto?

not sure how well that would work. they might never think they have more than for the most part (theyre always super conservative)

if people can lock down potential vac spots with uto i dont like that.

Yeah, my dept can only have 1 person off per day, and we have 10 people so its hard to use all of your vacation unless you want to take off a random day in the middle of the week. With sick hours I get about 6 weeks of vacation a year, so if everyone else was at the 10 year+ mark it would be impossible to use it all without just calling in and backfilling.

Back