MEGATHREAD Target myDevices

Moral of the story: Android ftw ;)

Windows Phone would work as well.. But apple OS was never meant for this kind of work to begin with.. And both WP and Android at least have devices that are not using tech that is 5+ years old at this point on the hardware side.. Apple devices are lagging badly in the hardware department.. I haven't looked at an iPhone since I found they were so easy to break, use anything but Apple products.. And could never downgrade to a iPhone.. I like being able to shoot video in HD, and my phone camera just blows the iPhone camera in the weeds..

My store hasn't received the ipods for the TMs, just for the registry and by God they suck. We had four, the first day one completely froze and was taken from us to be shipped back to where ever. The second one was stuck in a loading loop every time you tried to scan an item. The third one will not allow anyone to create or find a registry at all, it just says please return to the Service Desk for assistance. Guess what, I have no freaking assistance to give you because my lame as F*** GE-ETL didn't give us any training, documentation or anything else other than handing us a box and saying good luck.

We have 1 out of 4 ipods working. The younger crowd see it as an interesting toy, but most complain it's too small. The older folks say the text is too hard to read. I was excited for the upgrade to the ipads for the registry, but if it's like this system I cringe for my sanity.

Hmm, we just got new pda's for registries, that seems weird, guess we won't be getting iPad's for that here anytime soon.

We had black PDA's that looked similar to the LPDA's for registries, now we got much smaller red ones.

There's only two iPad Minis in our store that I am aware of. There's one on the service desk at all times, that is used for price matches/flexible fulfillment orders, and one the SFT usually has and occasionally gives us at the service desk whenever there are lots of flexible fulfillment orders at once (days where there's $10 off online orders, or crazy sales, etc.).

We have an ipad mini that's permanently attached to the counter at the SD. We use it for price matching and FF. Electronics has one and the SFT has one as well.

While I'm normally all for bashing the Apple band wagon.... let's remember, these systems are just rolling out. What they are replacing isn't doing the job (GR PDA won't upgrade to new software, the scanner is wonkie, etc etc.)

Let's talk about kiosks.... Thermal paper is low.... You put another new roll on.... thermal paper is out.... grrrr.... smash.

Give it a couple of weeks. They've already done great on fixing the GR iPods since they rolled out, and we can almost get through a day now without one crashing. As the rest of the system catches up, it will start working better.

ok, end of rant. Sorry all, it was a rough day!

While I'm normally all for bashing the Apple band wagon.... let's remember, these systems are just rolling out. What they are replacing isn't doing the job (GR PDA won't upgrade to new software, the scanner is wonkie, etc etc.)

Let's talk about kiosks.... Thermal paper is low.... You put another new roll on.... thermal paper is out.... grrrr.... smash.

Give it a couple of weeks. They've already done great on fixing the GR iPods since they rolled out, and we can almost get through a day now without one crashing. As the rest of the system catches up, it will start working better.

ok, end of rant. Sorry all, it was a rough day!

Forgive me for not cutting them any slack, but every major software update they have crashed the network for hours. Outages like that are not acceptable for a software update. Weather takes out the eastern seaboard that houses the server farms? Ok.. But a update? Nope.. Updates should be seamless or a planned outage for whatever time they need. But every time the planned outage is hours longer than expected or no outage planed and no explanation or timetable is given..

Remember I am in the Pacific Northwest so my knowledge might be a bit skewed by my pool of friends..

Odd...our store was told not to use them until the software gets updated (which may or may not be before hell freezes over).
DMI (the company that does the software lockout for the devices) did updates late last week and earlier this week (I think Sunday, since Monday things were working better). Like I said, at least our store is down to 1 or 2 crashes per day, which is better than 4-5 crashes per hour

Ah...ok, last I heard, the company had stopped taking our phone calls, the entire thing was a cluster, and who the hell knows what's going on.

But my GSTL doesn't like the fact they are so small and the guest has to start the registry on them, so she wants to wait until we get the iPads at the registry kiosks before we use them. So who the hell knows anymore.

Turns out I was rather wrong. We do have iPods for the registries. I new we got new units, but wasn't till I had to reboot one and saw the Apple Splash Screen that I even realized they were iPods.

Does anyone have experience doing Price Change with the ipods? My store is switching to them at the end of October and I thought i read in one thread that it made you scan the specific item it was looking for and wouldn't let you scan everything. Is this true? How the hell are we supposed to do softlines? I must have read it wrong..

I know we got them, I think they are only using them at GS for the registries as of now - we didn't get any printers, so I overhead them say they were going to wait until those showed up.

Well, we just got official news that we are getting ours in by the end of the month. I guess we get to keep the PDAs though? Anyone know the specs on what equipment we get to keep?

eventually all but the new ipods are going to be gone but you cant do a lot still on the new devices. backroom, pricing truck unload, chargebacks still dont work on it.

Most things that use RFApps will not be for Ipods. I think once they move everything over to MyHome screens (so Pricing and Backroom updates can be expected it seems), I bet the PDAs can go away. I secretly think this is why they have removed rainchecks and subs for stores. It wasn't worth the money to develop the program into a MyHome application, so they just trashed it.

The only iPod's my store has gotten is the Gift Registry ones, no idea if/when we're getting the TM PDA's replaced, though our ETL's had iPads for office use. Personally I'd rather have those Motorola Phone-looking PDA's than the iPods. The gift registry ones have given us tons of trouble. Every guest that has used one, and when I've helped the guests use them, they never stay connected to the internet, crash on us, reboot constantly. What gives?

At our store, apparently NONE of the registry kiosks are working, so we haven't really had a chance to use the registry iPods. We've just been directing guests to their own smartphones.

The only iPod's my store has gotten is the Gift Registry ones, no idea if/when we're getting the TM PDA's replaced, though our ETL's had iPads for office use. Personally I'd rather have those Motorola Phone-looking PDA's than the iPods. The gift registry ones have given us tons of trouble. Every guest that has used one, and when I've helped the guests use them, they never stay connected to the internet, crash on us, reboot constantly. What gives?

It's Apple what do you expect?

;)

okay please don't kill me apple fans it was a joke

It's Apple what do you expect?

;)

okay please don't kill me apple fans it was a joke
Completely agree. I don't know why Spot is going with Apple devices now, they should just stick with Motorola like we had. Nothing wrong with them, just a little outdated. Just like in the first post of the thread, something slimmer, give it a faster processor, incorporate some kind of communication system on them incase a TM doesn't have a walkie or has something to say to another TM that they don't want to broadcast over the walkie, and that'd be the perfect device for us.

I nominated myself to be one of my store's "device captains" (or whatever the term is). Everyone comes to me with tech issues anyway, plus I'm hoping that it puts me somewhere closer to being "on the bench"

Completely agree. I don't know why Spot is going with Apple devices now, they should just stick with Motorola like we had. Nothing wrong with them, just a little outdated. Just like in the first post of the thread, something slimmer, give it a faster processor, incorporate some kind of communication system on them incase a TM doesn't have a walkie or has something to say to another TM that they don't want to broadcast over the walkie, and that'd be the perfect device for us.

I wish they'd just give us Motorola smart phones, with the ability to answer and place calls right on the salesfloor. At my store, most of our SF phones won't connect if it's out of our area code, and half our district is in a different area code. I'd LOVE to have a phone I can actually use as a phone without risking my STL's wrath.

@eleuthreophile you can just key 20xxxx where the x's are the four digit store number you are trying to call. I'm not 100% sure that this works on the red phones, but it will work on every other line in the store for sure.

Back