I'm Lost! The REDCard Thread

While they do stack, they don't stack the way I hear most people in my store claiming they do.

Red Card + RX Rewards + Team Member Discount is not 20% off. They are multiplicative, not additive.

$100 purchase, take 10% off, it's $90, take 5% off it's now $85.50, take another 5% off it's now 81.23%, that is 18.77% off, not 20%.

While they do stack, they don't stack the way I hear most people in my store claiming they do.

Red Card + RX Rewards + Team Member Discount is not 20% off. They are multiplicative, not additive.

$100 purchase, take 10% off, it's $90, take 5% off it's now $85.50, take another 5% off it's now 81.23%, that is 18.77% off, not 20%.

Thank you!

My wife is a mathematician and teaches math.
It drives her crazy when people round up discounts like that.
Not only is it bad math but it's lying to the customer.

According to latest front end urgent news sent to stores we are no longer supposed to ask a guest if they want to sign up for a Redcard. Also prompts are turned off. Guests can still sign up if they initiate though.

Wonder if card services is overloaded so they don't want new apps? Hmmm.

For now anyway. May just be that they want some of the news frenzy to die down and some time for things to blow over before they have us asking people whose information may have been comprised under Target's care (even if it can and has happened to just about everyone) if they want to give us information for a new CC/Debit card. Potential for some salt in the wound.

Prompts have been turned off since before Christmas. Not having to ask is a wonderful present, though getting everyone out of the habit of asking will be a killer.

Yeah I noticed the prompts have been off for a while too. I had a guy try to sign up with me yesterday regardless (I didn't ask) and it just said "Your application will be processed in 7-10 days" at the end.

According to latest front end urgent news sent to stores we are no longer supposed to ask a guest if they want to sign up for a Redcard. Also prompts are turned off. Guests can still sign up if they initiate though.

Question is, has HQ modified the conversion expectations as far as AE is concerned?

Question is, has HQ modified the conversion expectations as far as AE is concerned?

Well with prompts turned off, I think conversion should remain pretty high. I could be wrong though.

Ever since they turned the prompts off, it's been impossible to calculate daily and weekly conversion scores. The score is computed by: (Total # Apps) / (Total # Prompts) x 0.5 x 100

Mathematically, though, it's impossible to divide by zero. So if there are zero prompts, it's impossible to assign a score. All of the apps prior to today simply improved the YTD Conversion Scores (who knows if Target is even going to look at that now...)

If corporate is smart (no comment), they'll lower the goals back to what they used to be, whenever they decide to turn the prompts back on.

It might also be a good time to simply re-brand and expand the REDCard benefits in general. In addition to 5%, allow REDCard users to earn free treats from Food Ave (similar to the My Panera cards from Panera bread). Pick one weekend a month to give out $5 gift cards for every $50 spent by REDCard holders (similar to the Kohl's cash program). Just my two cents. Are you listening, Spot?

Mathematically conversion would come out infinity these past couple of weeks.

If people were signing up. We had a recent day of only 3 redcards, and the usual is 12-15. The overall impact will be either good or bad. The opportunity for stores who need to increase will not be there.

Last edited:
This is like a blessing! I hope this stays and Spot decides to do something different with the Red Card (maybe offer a rewards card too/instead of a credit card?)

Its a PR move to show the public that Target is concentrating on working on the breach instead of persisting in promoting the Target RedCard. And probably that Card Services cannot control the volume of angry callers wanting to cancel their cards.

Just wondering now about all the TMs who were coached, put on CA, or termed for having failing conversion scores.

What I found amusing today was that after that news at evening huddle yesterday, today there was still a red card goal of 10 on the sales board.

Its a PR move to show the public that Target is concentrating on working on the breach instead of persisting in promoting the Target RedCard. And probably that Card Services cannot control the volume of angry callers wanting to cancel their cards.

Just wondering now about all the TMs who were coached, put on CA, or termed for having failing conversion scores.

Why? They still weren't performing their core roles.

Why? They still weren't performing their core roles.

Perhaps. I think some leniency should be shown if the lack of performance occurred since the breach. I think a lot of people didn't feel comfortable pushing it given what happened. Perfectly understandable with how upset SOME people are over it.

Back