Red lights

In inbound, you get a DA if you move a trailer without the key being in. It is a simple mistake most team members will learn not to do. Also, the red light is on the side of the yard. This means not moving the trailer. I think this should be a yard rule to protect us and not a rule on wasting the yard's minute. If the call is made the light is red, and the TM who went to move it gets a DA. 3 strikes and you are out. We have had an uptick in DAs in the last 3 months as they have decided to enforce this policy to the fullest. If you are under 90 days, 1 strike and you are out. I'm just curious if this is an ongoing issue everywhere?

when i was in ib two years ago this 'rule' was enforced by an lww coming over to tell you to put the key in. trying to get rid of people over it is farcical.

Anyone under 90 days is 1 strike you are out for anything, always has been.
and yes the key is serious. If you have ever bad a trailer pulled while you are working in one (it happens more than you would hope) you would understand. TMs can die from it. Thats why the key system was implemented and is important.

Anyone under 90 days is 1 strike you are out for anything, always has been.
and yes the key is serious. If you have ever bad a trailer pulled while you are working in one (it happens more than you would hope) you would understand. TMs can die from it. Thats why the key system was implemented and is important.
I believe it is now a da final for a rlm, making it 2 strikes and you’re out.

In buildings that don’t have the salvo system, it can certainly be a dangerous system.

If your building has the salvo system and you understand how it works on both sides of the wall, you would know the yard driver can’t pull the trailer when the light is red on their side as they can’t get the key necessary to take the lock off of the trailer itself.

I believe it is now a da final for a rlm, making it 2 strikes and you’re out.

In buildings that don’t have the salvo system, it can certainly be a dangerous system.

If your building has the salvo system and you understand how it works on both sides of the wall, you would know the yard driver can’t pull the trailer when the light is red on their side as they can’t get the key necessary to take the lock off of the trailer itself.
In no way does that little key stop a driver from physically pulling a trailer.

In no way does that little key stop a driver from physically pulling a trailer.
If the key isn't in the driver can't remove their key from the outside that removes the airline lock on the trailer. I mean, they could drag the trailer with the brakes locked up I guess.

If the key isn't in the driver can't remove their key from the outside that removes the airline lock on the trailer. I mean, they could drag the trailer with the brakes locked up I guess.
I was in the position that records the incidents and documents the footage. Those keys dont stop anything if that driver isnt paying attention (which is already the case if they are ignoring a red light). It takes several mistakes to line things up which is what the salvo update was meant to mitigate, but it is not any sort of real protection.
Ice and asphalt slick from rain are also contributing factors.

I was in the position that records the incidents and documents the footage. Those keys dont stop anything if that driver isnt paying attention (which is already the case if they are ignoring a red light). It takes several mistakes to line things up which is what the salvo update was meant to mitigate, but it is not any sort of real protection.
Ice and asphalt slick from rain are also contributing factors.
They can’t take the airline lock off either. So they would have to drag the door trailer out. Sure it could happen, but it is as close to foolproof as it can really get.

Back