States that Target gives you Sick Pay SEPARATE from PTO

In my state I accrue sick pay apart from PTO.

I tried to explain to a TM that you can request a day off then add Sick Pay.

The TM didn't seem to grasp this whole concept.

I also said that Sick Pay is added outside of the store and HR DOES NOT have to approve it.

It just gets added.

In the past though HR had to add it and it got rejected by my previous HR ETL a couple of times.

Then again that person would sit on normal PTO requests for weeks on end.

Sick pay cannot/should not be used for days that you request off. That's your vacation/PTO.

Sick pay is used to compensate when you call off sick, but still need or want to get paid and have accrued the hours to do so. Then you would go in and submit a request for pay.

Now I don't know about your state but here in Alaska, sick pay can also be used to cover doctor visits and even when you have to take care of your sick kid.

Now I don't know about your state but here in Alaska, sick pay can also be used to cover doctor visits and even when you have to take care of your sick kid.

Correct. We can use the sick pay for appointments and sick kids too. I'm hardly ever actually sick, but use my sick pay for my own appointments and for my kids' appointments. Which is why I never request time off for appointments so that my sick pay is covering the part of my scheduled shift I didn't work.

In my state I accrue sick pay apart from PTO.

I tried to explain to a TM that you can request a day off then add Sick Pay.

The TM didn't seem to grasp this whole concept.

I also said that Sick Pay is added outside of the store and HR DOES NOT have to approve it.

It just gets added.

In the past though HR had to add it and it got rejected by my previous HR ETL a couple of times.

Then again that person would sit on normal PTO requests for weeks on end.
Unless this is different in your state then this is wrong information. You cannot use it as extra pto and do not take it as time of first. You can use it for doctors visits and to care for dependants. It is approved by hr because it has to be used for valid reasons. That is why it is accrued separately from pto. If your hr is allowing that then they are being generous and allowing you to use it for reasons it's not for. I used it previously for bringing my grandmother to doctors appointments because she could not bring herself.

I got burned by this once by my previous HR-ETL on this issue.

I asked not to be scheduled for two days in a row to see get some doctor's appointments done.

I did give Target a note beforehand and was not scheduled those two days.

Later on they denied my Sick Pay because I was not scheduled those two days.

I complained to the HR ETL but nothing was done.

The next time I had doctor's appointments I just called off and got Sick Pay.

At least in my state Sick Pay DOES NOT have to approved by the store and it is added within 24 hours.

A TM did tell me that it is up to the corporation on a state to state level as to whether Sick Pay is separated from PTO.

Most corporations just lump it under PTO because that makes more sense.

Sick pay cannot/should not be used for days that you request off. That's your vacation/PTO.

Sick pay is used to compensate when you call off sick, but still need or want to get paid and have accrued the hours to do so. Then you would go in and submit a request for pay.
Target separates them because sick pay excuses an absense and PTO does not. That is why TMs may want to use it even if they weren't "sick". But frankly, you could always lie. I don't remember seeing anything in the policy that requires HR to receive verification of the stated reason.

Most stores will let you use if if you have it, regardless of reason. Just means you won't have any if you actually get sick. As an adult, you should be able to make and responsible for those kinds of decisions.

Yes, that's true, too! But not in terms of using it just because you want the day off or have other engagements, that was what I meant. My bad for not being more clear on that.

I got burned by this once by my previous HR-ETL on this issue.

I asked not to be scheduled for two days in a row to see get some doctor's appointments done.

I did give Target a note beforehand and was not scheduled those two days.

Later on they denied my Sick Pay because I was not scheduled those two days.

I complained to the HR ETL but nothing was done.

The next time I had doctor's appointments I just called off and got Sick Pay.

At least in my state Sick Pay DOES NOT have to approved by the store and it is added within 24 hours.

A TM did tell me that it is up to the corporation on a state to state level as to whether Sick Pay is separated from PTO.

Most corporations just lump it under PTO because that makes more sense.
Your etl should of accepted your sick pay request. I had a similar problem to you in not getting bereavement pay before and not getting paid for jury duty. Not all hrs know the laws. Should of forced them to ask there hrbp or hrd.
Your store definitely handles sick pay not corporate as they need to verify its an acceptable reason. Them telling you they don't is probably because they denied your sick time before and probably trying to pass the blame.
Sick Pay is not lumped under pto in most corporations because then by definition it's not sick pay.
Sick Pay requirements are getting more and more common in state law which is why many larger corporations that work nationwide are adding it for everyone. I'm pretty sure the number of states have doubled in the last few years or so. I know a good amount started January 2024. Probably why spot decided to add it everywhere.
Also to answer the question in the name of the thread all targets separate sick and pto.

Im trying to wrap my head around this....Im in pain, but Im working any ways, until my dr. Appt to get the shots(I have osteo arthritis)

I can call off, sit at home with a hang over and get paid, but can not schedule a dr appt for a legitimate reason and use sick pay?

Scheduling time off is just to give my team heads up.

Doesnt make any sense to me.

Im trying to wrap my head around this....Im in pain, but Im working any ways, until my dr. Appt to get the shots(I have osteo arthritis)

I can call off, sit at home with a hang over and get paid, but can not schedule a dr appt for a legitimate reason and use sick pay?

At my store they now have a "conversation" for any call off whether is you use sick pay or not.

Then again for TMs that call off once a twice or month they don't do anything to them anyway so what's the point.

You can use it for days that you request off for appointments.

At my store they now have a "conversation" for any call off whether is you use sick pay or not.

Then again for TMs that call off once a twice or month they don't do anything to them anyway so what's the point.
They’re not supposed to talk to you if you use sick time to cover the whole shift. That’s almost the entire point of sick time. I’m sorry that they do that at your store.

Back