Target no longer accepting checks for red card payments in store

redeye58

Hasta Ba Rista, Baby!
Just paid my Target card bill in store & the slip printed out the following notice:
"As of July 15th Target will no longer accept personal checks, cashier's checks & money orders for payment on account in store. Target will continue to accept cash & debit/EBT payments. Checks can be mailed in for payment on account or by calling guest services at 1-800-***-****."
Over the years I've had only two instances where my check was 'lost' (I wrote a new one & my bank stopped payment on the other) or an error on their part. Since I went paperless & just pay by check (I have my reasons for not using my debit card) I guess I'll have to see if I can get them to send it by mail again.
I suspect this is the beginning of the end for use of checks at Target in general.
Thoughts?

I've been told that unless you have written a check to us 'recently' (whatever that means) we aren't taking them at all. Management thinks this is Target beginning to phase it out entirely

You could just add a Target payment to your bank account and send it that way.

I do that for my car loan, insurance, etc.

I do not use auto pay though.

I would send a partial payment beforehand to test it out.

The only checks I write is for my landlord to stick in his mailbox.

Last edited:
You could just add a Target payment to your bank account and send it that way.

I do that for my car loan, insurance, etc.

I do not use auto pay though.

I would send a partial payment beforehand to test it out.

The only checks I write is for my landlord to stick in his mailbox.
My husband and I write each other checks because he has CashApp and I have Venmo and we are both being stubborn about switching lol. Also, there is the occasional bill from a place that doesn't take online payments, very annoying.

I went paperless so I could just take my check during a day I was working; no mail, no worries. I've paid by check for years so I have a good record.
Our previous mail block was vandalized so much we were told mail wouldn't be delivered until it was replaced with a more-secure block. After months of negotiating it was replaced but I still take out-going mail to the PO.
Debit is out after a couple of rounds of ID theft; guess I'll have to resort to cash.

Why do people still use checks and use cash except to be stubborn?

A bank account is free.
A debit card is free.
In fact my bank PAYS me to have a checking account.

A bank account is free.
A debit card is free.
Bank accounts are not free at all banks/credit unions (so it will heavily depend on what is available locally)

And debit cards are not free, the companies charge a percentage to process the transaction on every purchase to the merchant, which is then passed on to you the consumer via increased prices.

This is why Target offers a 5% discount to uss the redcard (they are essentially removing the card charge they add to prices by default).

Your bank actually does not pay you for having money in your account, they are "stealing" money from you and giving you a pittance as a thank you. The ammount of interest a bank provides oer dollar is far less than the return on an average stock market portfolio, which is what your bank uses the money you deposit to buy.

That said I agree checks are very limited in use nowadays and the tax on a card is well worth the convinience and protection it brings alongside. Just dont want there to be any confusion that any of this system is "free".

I've been responsible for mailing the checks for years. It costs the store like $45 to mail them and it is supposed to be done weekly. Before I took over the process, they weren't getting mailed for a while. I don't know what happens if it takes like a month to send them to MN. I will not miss checks. I hope we won't take the formula checks too. What a pain. I also think we should stop taking paper coupons.

Back in the olden days of cash office I remember having to run the checks thru a MICR machine that printed the transaction info code along the bottom for the check before they were sent off to a bank clearing house.
I was elated when they discontinued that process & packing up that MICR machine was the happiest day of my time in there.

I've been responsible for mailing the checks for years. It costs the store like $45 to mail them and it is supposed to be done weekly. Before I took over the process, they weren't getting mailed for a while. I don't know what happens if it takes like a month to send them to MN. I will not miss checks. I hope we won't take the formula checks too. What a pain. I also think we should stop taking paper coupons.
In a related matter I notice my Kroger store posts this prominently at the self checkouts.

We do not accept coupons presented on an app or mobile device. We only accept digital coupons found on our App or our website.

A bank account is free.
A debit card is free.

My parents still live like they are in 1989 and will not willingly get a debit card. They also have never used a computer or a cellphone. Stubborn doesn't begin to describe it!

When my mom hears she won't be able to write a check at Target anymore, she's going to be pissed at Target for making her life more difficult. 🙄😆

Back