Target slows store theft, but at a cost to shopping experience

HRZone

Former ETL HR

To cut those losses, Target recently lowered its product value threshold for shoplifting intervention from $100 to $50. Many store employees avoid confronting thieves when there could be potential safety risks or large disturbances, but asset protection workers have specific training and protocols to help them make stops.

Fiddelke said smaller shrink was “one of the tail winds” to Target’s recent profits, which shot up more than 40% in the past few months as compared to the same time last year.

Last edited:
Years ago razors and blades were stolen so much at my store that it seemed like their section was always just a bunch of empty pegs. That really tanked our OPU/SFS metrics sometimes.😡

I argued the entire time I was in AP at the RDC we needed to start gaining more visibility over non-electronic items. So much theft DC side of smaller items like medicine and body products 4 to a pack at $25 each that were not given the same treatment as a $15 pair of earbuds because those were "electronic".

I hope that attitude has changed. At the very least Ulta started the trend of beauty items being tracked more seriously.

In our Ulta they started blocking off some of aisles with these.

Friend of mine carries a wide variety of tools around some that exactly fit with his IT job.
We were standing in a line using the dividers in the picture.
I heard THHhhRRrrPPpp, suddenly no more divider but something looked wrong.
We got up a little way further and THHhhRRrrPPpp.
I saw him palming a small piece of plastic and his Fiskars Shop Boss.
Which explained why the dividers looked weird, without the piece that was now in his pocket it had retracted all the way inside the cap.
Moral of the story: Never make someone with AD/HD and pockets full of tools wait in line for over two hours.

Friend of mine carries a wide variety of tools around some that exactly fit with his IT job.
We were standing in a line using the dividers in the picture.
I heard THHhhRRrrPPpp, suddenly no more divider but something looked wrong.
We got up a little way further and THHhhRRrrPPpp.
I saw him palming a small piece of plastic and his Fiskars Shop Boss.
Which explained why the dividers looked weird, without the piece that was now in his pocket it had retracted all the way inside the cap.
Moral of the story: Never make someone with AD/HD and pockets full of tools wait in line for over two hours.
I think its funny when destruction of property is glorified..

Back