Archived New TM tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got hired and I am coining into my first training day tomorrow. What are some good tips a new TM should know and or what advice can you give me as a new TM

More info I work meat and I am being cross trained in milk,deli,produce and cashier the HR over the phone said mainly meat. And another huge thing I am most worried about is being cashier at my other job I hated it people would come back and be annoying to me saying i did this wrong and stuff so yeah that's my biggest worry. If anyone can give me the just of working in the food area please do I don't quit understand d what I do ( don't hate Lol my first bug job and I am kind of worried)

So any tips and advice would be helpful thanks....

Wear comfortable shoes and if you're going to working in meat you might want to find ones with reinforced toes.
You also might want to start by wearing layers.

Pack your own lunch, FA getting your stuff paid for can take a big chunk of your break.
Depending on what kind of lockers they have you might need a quarter for the key.

Another quick question do they train you for cashier right away or would they do that last since I am not mainly a cashier person

I can't speak specifically for meat since that's not a workcenter that exists outside a supertarget, but at least at my store basically everyone's first day of training is cashier training.

Ah ok, is it esay or hard being a cashier at target like I have done some cahsier work but not a ton

Some other info I forgot to add is my target is a super target so yeah

The processes of it aren't that hard, mostly you just follow the prompts the POS tells you to, and if you get into trouble call over the GSA/GSTL. The difficulty tends to come from the nonstop pressure cooker environment and the cut-to-the-bone payroll, although that'll be less in a super target. You don't need to count your drawer or anything like that, just the basics.

Ah ok thanks tomorrow is my first day of training so I am kind of nervous

I also wanted to ask but I am still in school and school will so be starting at oreintation the HR person said we would be a amiable to change abbailiabilty for the school year as what a bunch of the new people who where in school also put their summer a aka ility. Do you think they will remember this or no? Because I don't want to get in trouble for working an early shift while I have to go to school

those questions should be asked to hr. so, they dont forget. if you had listed your availabilty as open, you cant change it till after 90 days.

Ask Questions, even if you think they are dumb.

Especially if you work in market. I HATE training people from scratch over in market because learning all the market facts/routines is a training course in itself, and that's before you get to anything that deals with the Sales Floor side of things. It is very hard to remember everything when training someone.

Last time I trained someone in market I taught them all the Food Safety and extra market stuff.

Covering diamonds? Meh, just DON'T weigh any of my meat without putting the shelf life on it.

Last edited:
Update: Was my first day yesterday and everything went very very well. I asked tons of questions about things and how to do things... I worked in meat which is very very very very very cold so many fridges and so many freezers you have to go in lol. but yeah i work again today for 7 hours so yeah I am really liking my job so far all i do i pull and restock the meat and if done help like produce or dairy pretty fun everyone was so nice and friendly :D

You are in luck, my friend. I don't think you realize how lucky you are...

It has been my experience to have seen three meat people get promoted, and fast. Here's what happened every time:

Meat person stocks and zones freezers... yep it's cold and miserable.. but wait! Backups are being called on the walkie! There's your chance to get out of freezers! Keep answering those calls, oh and make sure you answer Market calls if you can! Do anything and everything possible to NOT stock freezers and be "visible" on the walkie and there's your stepping stone to a promotion.

That way you look like you are helping the team, you are a team player and reliable, and even though the freezers look terrible you will get promoted. If only I had known this magic formula from the beginning...

Good luck and keep asking questions!

Yeah today will be my 2nd day and i cant wait to go. and most people in the food are say we are lucky cause we have the easy jobs. i feel bad for cashiers tbh i was talking to one and they said they have a quota to sell red cards and they always have to have a smile on for the guests and are always interacting with them my job i am more or less behind the scenes for SOME of my job

oh and my question is if i need to call in sick who do i call HR?

make sure to wait until your 90 days is up. they might fire you before then if it becomes a habbit.

after your 90 days, it's pretty hard to get fired. you'd pretty much would have to kill a guest on the floor

after 90 days do they do like a review of you and if you are not good they fire you? what really happens after 90 days :/

well what happens when i hit 90 days do they watch to see how you preform your tasks????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back