After 5 years I think I'm finally broken

My 5-year anny came and went without a word from my leaders a few weeks ago. I've been thinking about how I've seen things go downhill steadily, breaking at times only to recover just enough to give us hope.

I'm a Fulfillment lead and when my team is picking in a store that has a green backroom and freight done on time, we are right up there with the best in the group. Like during that magic month after inventory when everything is buttery smooth.

My former store director scapegoated my team, filling one entire wall of her office with nit-picky metrics and names of my TMs. Passive-aggressive, leaving me lodged right there under the bus as its wheels spun. She talked shit about them all the time. That hurt, a lot. I didn't do anything about it except try to fairly push my team toward excellence, or at least improvement and corrective action in only the worst cases, like I felt I should. The reason I was a little bitch about it is that my SD was vengeful, and I overheard things I definitely wasn't supposed to hear, enough to make me not cross her. I was pushed by both the SD and my former ETL to motivate by fear, which I refused to do. It's kind of lucky I kept my job come to think of it. I suppose deep down they understood that losing me would hurt the business badly for quite a while. Not to say I'm amazing, but I'm definitely not replacement-level.

Anyway, as often happens, the Fulfillment team are black sheep. This sometimes happens to style, to market, to the front end, hell everyone except inbound/gm to be honest. But I'm out of the loop on everything. Planning meeting? Sorry, my business is about to collapse, I'm picking red batches. The communication is a wreck. I'll come in to close the store, and I feel like the proper thing to do is to sit down and discuss the plan and what has happened that day. You know, a basic handoff. My handoff is a couple of sentences before I have to jump into an OPU until closers arrive, or on really bad days I make a dash to the packing station to get Ship From Store done. Or maybe I just say fuck it and start loading up a boat with priorities because at 3pm we're 16%.

Some of the things I used to do that I now refuse to do: Write the schedule, order supplies, hire, approve availability and time off - mostly the things you do under your boss's password. I was good at doing those but I have to give them up, it's too much to do.

I asked in a thread recently how leadership hours are accounted for in other stores and it seems like after a lot of observing, when my hours are in the Fulfillment coverage bucket, I. Can. Not. Lead. I can't do it, pick and lead at the same time, even if it's Ship From Store where there's no time limit.

My team needs a leader who is always available to hunt that INF, to fix that backroom error, and address any of the dozen crazy mysteries that pop up every day. I need to be identifying and removing roadblocks, coaching and training, coordinating breaks so my team isn't treated like slaves, and I need to be almost never picking batches.

If my store were green and mean, yeah maybe I could afford to spend more time showing up the kids and making them chase down my UPH and INF numbers for fabulous prizes from Starbucks or whatever. It's not though.

So anyhow, we all know the insanity that is Target, how we've turned our back on our guests and our team members (as a company). We've lost what made us different and now there is nothing stopping us from being squeezed out of the industry, we're cooked.

But in the meantime, I think I'll just say fuck it - since it's fucked - and I'm just going to give it one last go, on my terms, and very aggressively run things the way I want to. I can't make my store work right, and the loss of my productivity is going to be a bitch, and it will lead to more backups and more complaining, but this is kind of the last stand I think.

Have you been through a similar moment? How did it go for you?

Well this week for sure with mid year reviews. Over 5 ++ years TM and a notch below "exceeds expectations". 2.
Since transferring here ....all but the first review are like getting a"C" grade. "Meets expectations." When I asked the basic "why not exceeds/ 3 for this review considering I was just gushed upon as being super tm etc... and my 1st review at this store was a 3; and was told " barely anyone gets a 3".
When I asked further my TL said ever since they also came to this store as well they v gotten nothing above "meets expectations".
So I wish I wish I had the guts to ask "who" got the elusive 3 this year. Not only has Target dropped in the public esteem but they ve turned into a really poor school principal who tells the exceedingly talented teacher to stop giving out so many "A" s. Talk about discouraging, gaslighting and all things abusive to the hard working soul when it s pretty obvious base favoritism reigns.

Well this week for sure with mid year reviews. Over 5 ++ years TM and a notch below "exceeds expectations". 2.
Since transferring here ....all but the first review are like getting a"C" grade. "Meets expectations." When I asked the basic "why not exceeds/ 3 for this review considering I was just gushed upon as being super tm etc... and my 1st review at this store was a 3; and was told " barely anyone gets a 3".
When I asked further my TL said ever since they also came to this store as well they v gotten nothing above "meets expectations".
So I wish I wish I had the guts to ask "who" got the elusive 3 this year. Not only has Target dropped in the public esteem but they ve turned into a really poor school principal who tells the exceedingly talented teacher to stop giving out so many "A" s. Talk about discouraging, gaslighting and all things abusive to the hard working soul when it s pretty obvious base favoritism reigns.
Yeah reviews are a whole 'nother tasty piece of the crapcake. Raises too, my god the raises are bad. My anecdote is having to tell one of my team members that he didn't get the top raise because we essentially have an unofficial quota, and there was almost no difference in performance between him and the next highest up on the ladder, was heartbreaking. He's been my strongest TM ever since, dude has some freaking character. We do not deserve his services.

I was a Backroom TL for over twelve years and in all that time only one person in the backroom ever got the top rating, and that only happened once. Probably because the person, who truly was our top performer, was only two months away from retirement and they didn’t have to shell out that raise for long.

I was a Backroom TL for over twelve years and in all that time only one person in the backroom ever got the top rating, and that only happened once. Probably because the person, who truly was our top performer, was only two months away from retirement and they didn’t have to shell out that raise for long.
that is true target. that there is the experience I've had for the last…… way to f long.

Can't say I'm at this level yet, but Target does seem to have a way of sucking out all the motivation from top performers while apparently not noticing how the slackers keep on slacking and getting away with it.
Well said. I transfer to this store from the other one. Same thing happens....well since you are fast at picking I need your support on another order while certain fulfillment tms just casually picking while enjoying their starbuck. Or yeah your department is not a priority now so I need your support in chemical and their tl just stood there talking about cars with other young loafers while myself and another tm from other area have to break our backs to support them with 2 pallets. Bosses are like "you're not a dbo anymore because that is no longer exist" but they still expect you to have the same duty while being "global". What a joke

Every original TM has left. Regardless of how good you are if your nose isn't sepia toned even those you trust will fuck you eventually. LEAVE.

To be frank I understand the slackers. Why work hard when this is what happens when you do?
Yes, I understand your point. The thing is though that someone who's not a slacker can't just turn into one. At least I can't and feel good about myself. So the resentment builds.
Another thing that happened this week, not for the first time since I've been at Target, is that the rare OT is held out as a carrot. The TL who asked me if I was interested is someone I've learned not to trust, but I said I'd definitely like to have the extra shift. So I check a couple of times to see if it's been added to my schedule so I could make an adjustment to plans with someone else for that day. Not added. Ask the HR TM about it and nope, I'm not on the schedule for that day. Right. "We have some OT to offer and you're a top performer so I thought of you first" is a line I've heard before. It's like, "Here's a carrot, want it? Whoops, can't have it!" It's not like the TL hit me with a stick instead but it's not nice to tease like that either.

Yes, I understand your point. The thing is though that someone who's not a slacker can't just turn into one. At least I can't and feel good about myself. So the resentment builds.
Another thing that happened this week, not for the first time since I've been at Target, is that the rare OT is held out as a carrot. The TL who asked me if I was interested is someone I've learned not to trust, but I said I'd definitely like to have the extra shift. So I check a couple of times to see if it's been added to my schedule so I could make an adjustment to plans with someone else for that day. Not added. Ask the HR TM about it and nope, I'm not on the schedule for that day. Right. "We have some OT to offer and you're a top performer so I thought of you first" is a line I've heard before. It's like, "Here's a carrot, want it? Whoops, can't have it!" It's not like the TL hit me with a stick instead but it's not nice to tease like that either.
That would annoy me for sure. Maybe they just forgot to put it in the system? I would confirm the day and time while having the conversation - ok so you want me to come in on Saturday 4-10? Got it!

I agree on the slacker thing as well, at least about the physical work. I can only go so slow lol. I work at a fairly brisk pace, I'm an organizer and I have my standards. The trick for me was to change my mindset. If something doesn't get done, well, tomorrow's another day. If I find myself getting stressed because it seems I won't get to something I just remind myself it is what it is. Still irks me seeing other TMs do crap work, especially when they actually get praised for it. But I just remind myself I'm not the boss and move on.

That would annoy me for sure. Maybe they just forgot to put it in the system? I would confirm the day and time while having the conversation - ok so you want me to come in on Saturday 4-10? Got it!

I agree on the slacker thing as well, at least about the physical work. I can only go so slow lol. I work at a fairly brisk pace, I'm an organizer and I have my standards. The trick for me was to change my mindset. If something doesn't get done, well, tomorrow's another day. If I find myself getting stressed because it seems I won't get to something I just remind myself it is what it is. Still irks me seeing other TMs do crap work, especially when they actually get praised for it. But I just remind myself I'm not the boss and move on.
Oh ditto. My tl told me they got "they re first good review from the etl and that it was in large part do to me" ok. So when same tl gave me my half year review barely 3 months after thanking me for getting her department a bump...they give me basic in return. Short memory. So I switched my availability and can't work that dept any more so, uh oh....things aren't going so well for them all of a effing sudden.

Every original TM has left. Regardless of how good you are if your nose isn't sepia toned even those you trust will fuck you eventually. LEAVE.
1st tm of the month cheated at driveup time to appear super stellar , like they could move thru walls, by skipping verification, ..another tm of the month hides in the family bathroom when asked to help a tm they don't like. I could go on.

Oh ditto. My tl told me they got "they re first good review from the etl and that it was in large part do to me" ok. So when same tl gave me my half year review barely 3 months after thanking me for getting her department a bump...they give me basic in return. Short memory. So I switched my availability and can't work that dept any more so, uh oh....things aren't going so well for them all of a effing sudden.
sidebar...I probably did my best hours on the floor after that review and since. No recognition but my own. That's all there is.

Dropped my notice. Since doing so I've learned a lot of things both positive and negative about various leaders. I wasn't giving my SD enough credit on some things. Generally wasn't giving ETL's and SD enough credit for what they are going through. It takes an exceptional person to deal with the nonsense Target has thrown at them. There is also plenty of negative b.s. but I'm just not in the mood to criticize. Shit is hard, retail and retail in this company is hard.

Back