Wage Garnishment

So my wages MIGHT start being garnished due to some REALLY old debt that I didn't know I had.

I did talk to my HR ETL about this briefly but he told me to call Target Pay and Benefits.

What is the actual process from Target's perspective?

I assume I will get some sort of documentation from Target stating they have been ordered to do this before it starts getting taken out.

Thanks.

Fid you get a court date? They cannot garnish without serving you and going through the procesa. If you donr show up to your court date then yiu will get a letter co firming that the garniahment will happen and the details. Trust me there is no might in this you will know 100% before time. Unless for some reason you domt get mail or something.

Been dealing with this myself with some nasty collections peeps. If they do not serve you brush uo on your rights and begin the court process. If they choose not to show up the case wull be thrown. Also check your states reporting times if its outside the date they cant take you to court.

I forget what its called but in my state after 7 yeara from the last activity on the debt they cant take you to court. Idk if this helps at all

Fid you get a court date? They cannot garnish without serving you and going through the procesa. If you donr show up to your court date then yiu will get a letter co firming that the garniahment will happen and the details. Trust me there is no might in this you will know 100% before time. Unless for some reason you domt get mail or something.

Been dealing with this myself with some nasty collections peeps. If they do not serve you brush uo on your rights and begin the court process. If they choose not to show up the case wull be thrown. Also check your states reporting times if its outside the date they cant take you to court.

I forget what its called but in my state after 7 yeara from the last activity on the debt they cant take you to court. Idk if this helps at all

Unless they are the IRS and then they just have to send you a few letters.
Do not ignore letters from the IRS, ever.
I have a couple of friends who learned that the hard way.

Thanks for your input.

I am talking to a lawyer.

My state tax return is in garnishment already which I didn't know until it happened.

I got my federal return with no problem.

I talked to one lawyer but I am going to talk to someone more specialized in that field.

The odd thing is that this old debt was "resubmitted?" to the court in 2016.

The collection agency then sat on it since then and didn't try to attempt to collect on it at all!

I have been at my same address since 2012 and been at Target since 2015 so it's not like they couldn't track me down.

Unless they are the IRS and then they just have to send you a few letters.
Do not ignore letters from the IRS, ever.
I have a couple of friends who learned that the hard way.
This I was not aware of I thought all gas rnishment went through the courts first. This is good to know! And yes NEVER ignore legal letters no matter their origin unless its a scam of course. Thats just common sense.

This I was not aware of I thought all gas rnishment went through the courts first. This is good to know! And yes NEVER ignore legal letters no matter their origin unless its a scam of course. Thats just common sense.

The IRS situation is sneaky.
They aren't garnishing your check according to them.
You didn't pay your taxes, or enough taxes, so they are doing you the favor of making those payments out of your paycheck.
You're just paying extra taxes to make up for the one you didn't pay, is all.
It's seriously fucked up.

When my sister left an abusive ex she discovered he hadn't done taxes in years so she was trying to catch up when IRS sent out what they calculated was due & began garnishing her wages; she had three kids to support since ex landed in prison shortly after.
Later our mom scraped together enough money to hire a CPA to do a 'Review, Revise, Resolve' & was not only able to stop the garnishments but actually recovered a bit back when IRS discovered she had kids.

The IRS situation is sneaky.
They aren't garnishing your check according to them.
You didn't pay your taxes, or enough taxes, so they are doing you the favor of making those payments out of your paycheck.
You're just paying extra taxes to make up for the one you didn't pay, is all.
It's seriously fucked up.
Eh, Is it though? Sure it would be nice if they tried to work with folks, but they probably deal with so many deadbeats who don't pay, they don't have the time or inclination to be all understanding about things.

Bottom line, don't mess with the IRS. Pay your taxes people!

Check your credit report.
It wasn't on my credit report just a "soft inquiry" from the collection agency.

I have to look at the rest of them and the one from 2020.

The one from 2020 is the last one I looked at closely because I got a car loan then.

I will keep you posted.

Wage garnishment is linked to your SSN iirc and Target can’t do a single solitary chili-pepper-pickin’ thing about it. You can try and dodge it by abruptly quitting and packing your bags and moving to the opposite end of the country to an unfamiliar city and onboarding at a whole ass different company in a whole ass different industry, only to receive your first paycheck to find that Uncle Samantha is far more cunning and sly than zhe would first appear and has stalked you across several time zones…sad to say there is 0 respite from your present predicament unless you are uncharacteristically blessed with an ETL willing to furtively slip crisp $100 bills into your drawers beneath the breakroom tables

Back