What happens to hours if someone calls off?

So someone in my department called off yesterday (for today) but apparently they didn't bother to schedule a replacement or even ask me to come in a little earlier.

Where do those unused hours go?

At my store if they had overspent on hours for the month the hours wouldn’t be replaced, they would be used toward reducing the deficit. Sometimes hours would be saved for later in the month, but if the store was making plan or over plan and under hours or breaking even on hours the sick call hours would be replaced.

Last edited:
Stores usually overspend at the beginning of the month and then count on call offs to cover the deficit, so they don't always cover them unless necessary. If there aren't enough call offs, then they start cutting hours at the end of the month.
Is the end of the month apply because it just turned October?

Onto the ETLs bonus checks.
No. Wrong. They don’t get bigger bonuses for unused payroll. They DO get bigger bonuses for increased sales. Store leadership wants to spend every hour they get, because it helps increase sales. But if they miss payroll by an hour, no bonus at all. They just have to come even or have a little extra each month to keep the store from unwanted hq attention.

No. Wrong. They don’t get bigger bonuses for unused payroll. They DO get bigger bonuses for increased sales. Store leadership wants to spend every hour they get, because it helps increase sales. But if they miss payroll by an hour, no bonus at all. They just have to come even or have a little extra each month to keep the store from unwanted hq attention.

Yeah, I know.
That's why I went with the sarcasm font.
It tends to be a pretty common answer whenever this question comes up.

Yeah, I know.
That's why I went with the sarcasm font.
It tends to be a pretty common answer whenever this question comes up.
I worked today but not in my normal department.

They didn't schedule hardly anyone so the Pull Percentages in Speciality, Sales, GM, and F&B were all under 15% as of 3:00 PM.

Actually no one was schedule until 4:30 in F&B to do pulls.

Idiots.

PS Everyone was running around doing OPUs because of under staffing.

Are you saying it doesn't matter HOW MUCH they miss payroll just it was missed?

Are you saying it doesn't matter HOW MUCH they miss payroll just it was missed?
Yep! As far as the bonus goes, it's a pass/fail type thing. They could make it by 1000 hours and it would be the same as making by 1. Or they could miss by 1000 hours and it's the same as missing by 1. Stores have every incentive to spend the exact right amount of payroll. They have no reason to cut further than that. It can only hurt them.

Although if you do miss by a lot, you risk pissing off your DSD and risk losing your job if it happens consistently.

It would make sense to not replace if they over-scheduled in anticipation of call-outs. But when you write a Bare Bones schedule that is by definition only the people you Need, so everyone is Needed and should be replaced if possible upon a call-out

It would make sense to not replace if they over-scheduled in anticipation of call-outs. But when you write a Bare Bones schedule that is by definition only the people you Need, so everyone is Needed and should be replaced if possible upon a call-out
True! But usually that bare bones schedule is actually overspending payroll. The leaders in the store look at the total number of hours given and laugh because there’s no way you can run a store on that many hours, so they overspend. But then they get in trouble for overspending, so they can’t replace call offs.

At my store, those of us who show up are usually allowed to stay longer and the hours get sucked up that way. TMs are moved around, some to Fulfillment, some to the front, some to pull batches. Sometimes, a TM will be asked to come in on a day off or early for a called off shift, but that's less common.

At my store, those of us who show up are usually allowed to stay longer and the hours get sucked up that way. TMs are moved around, some to Fulfillment, some to the front, some to pull batches. Sometimes, a TM will be asked to come in on a day off or early for a called off shift, but that's less common.
At my store, those of us who show up are usually allowed to stay longer and the hours get sucked up that way.

Of course if you work afternoons staying over to finish isn't an option because the store is closed.

They spend so many hours based off doing so much in sales. If sales drop they are overspending payroll. They can’t replace shifts especially if it’s the last week of the month.

At my store, those of us who show up are usually allowed to stay longer and the hours get sucked up that way.

Of course if you work afternoons staying over to finish isn't an option because the store is closed.
Maybe at your store. I usually see our high performer closer TMs staying late with the Closing leads to wrap up that are scheduled to go home when the store closes if needed. They'll send the low performers home on time every time.

Yesterday my ETL said that we haven't been hitting the pull percentages.

The ETL had pulled (but not pushed) a crapload of casestock.

I had noticed they aren't cutting hours for the morning team.

However almost all pulls are done at night so we get behind and it just rolls to the next day.

My store uses the argument that the morning team us too busy pushing truck YET IT ISN'T DONE!

The real loser is the Closing TL so has to do also mess with OPU and SFS.

Yesterday my ETL said that we haven't been hitting the pull percentages.

The ETL had pulled (but not pushed) a crapload of casestock.

I had noticed they aren't cutting hours for the morning team.

However almost all pulls are done at night so we get behind and it just rolls to the next day.

My store uses the argument that the morning team us too busy pushing truck YET IT ISN'T DONE!

The real loser is the Closing TL so has to do also mess with OPU and SFS.
This is why a lot of times at my store, the batches get pulled but left for the morning TMs to push. I grumble about it, but then I also realize that I'll check for those products with multiple locations instead of shoving product into a nearby spot that happens to be empty. (I mean, who cares if the secondary location is left empty or if the price point at that "flex" space is way lower, right?)

Your comment about the ETL pulling case stock reminds of a TL I used to have who would *help* me by pushing cases of shampoo, with convenient pick labels on the boxes, but never with what came in the HBA repacks. Yet he would gripe about how long it took to push the repacks and constantly say we were taking too long. Funny how he never did it himself to see how long it takes to push all those little cellophane-wrapped bundles of Tylenol and sub-cartons of toothbrushes with no handy-dandy pick labels. And this was back in the pre-Zebra days when we just had to know where everything went or use one of the floor scanners. He was such a jerk.

Back