Want to know how bad things are?

Even with BTS we're having a fair number of cashiers pulled to do OPU and DU/FF. How about some cashier support once in a while? Because when we don't have numbers, floor people get pulled. TLs and ETLs doing grunt work. I mean it's good that they will but when I see ETLs on a register I KNOW something's wrong.

Even with BTS we're having a fair number of cashiers pulled to do OPU and DU/FF. How about some cashier support once in a while? Because when we don't have numbers, floor people get pulled. TLs and ETLs doing grunt work. I mean it's good that they will but when I see ETLs on a register I KNOW something's wrong.
I'm confused why your store pulls cashiers - are they overscheduling? My store calls for backup too much to be pulling cashiers off the registers.

We also pull cashiers to help in fulfillment. Style and GM rarely back up either. At my store, the S&E ETL oversees fulfillment as well, so the other ETLs make her pull “her team” before they’ll let their team hop in. My Wait time at Checkout has been red the last 2 weeks because of it. Our front end is also responsible for pushing reshop… even though we are always running with a skeleton crew up front. Most days as the S&E TL I’m in batches, on register, covering DU or GS, or literally assisting in any other area of the store that needs help. I’m just a glorified TM.

Morale is so bad at my store because all the TMs are asked to do way too much with no help or support. Most days I’m actively in OPU batches while verifying INF and trying to run the front end and answering calls. I’ll end my night in priority pulls because the closing experts are overwhelmed and get no support. I pretty much run around like a chicken with my head cut off all shift.

I'm confused why your store pulls cashiers - are they overscheduling? My store calls for backup too much to be pulling cashiers off the registers.
That's the neat part - we aren't overscheduled. There are points where there are only 1 or 2 cashiers on. I know we're >$50 mil, the schedule is just ass.

There's times we don't have a cart guy either so any random dude on the front end gets pulled for it.

That's the neat part - we aren't overscheduled. There are points where there are only 1 or 2 cashiers on. I know we're >$50 mil, the schedule is just ass.

There's times we don't have a cart guy either so any random dude on the front end gets pulled for it.
So they pull cashiers to do FF and then pull from the floor to ring? Why not just have the floor people do FF?

At my store a majority of cashiers aren't trained for fullfillment.

In my department my TL said everyone was going to be trained on Fullfillment which was BS of course.

I am actually the only one in my department that can cashier too.

I remember there were about ten zoners at night and this wasn't during the holidays. If we were behind we were told to touch up the aisle (make the eights look good or at least do things such as put all of the fallen merchandise on the peg hooks, bring everything up that's knocked down, get rid of the reshop).

There's the problem, 15 years ago when we opened ETLs were always the first to jump on a register so the sales floor associates could do their job... since Cornell took over I've seen ETLs walk by checklanes with a line all the way to the back of the store and just ignore. I'm so glad to be out of that shit show, I've already done 2 major bankruptcies... Good luck

Bob Ulrich's retirement happened and the psychopaths have had hold of it ever since. It will go out of business, the only question is when. Target has been in the process of going out of business for like 16-17 years. A company that successful can take decades to do it. It was never going to go from "wow these stores look and function great!" to "out of business store is closed" overnight. It takes a long time for this much energy to unwind.

Bob Ulrich's retirement happened and the psychopaths have had hold of it ever since. It will go out of business, the only question is when. Target has been in the process of going out of business for like 16-17 years. A company that successful can take decades to do it. It was never going to go from "wow these stores look and function great!" to "out of business store is closed" overnight. It takes a long time for this much energy to unwind.
I started working at the end of Ulrich's reign and I do have to say Target was a better company to work for then.

I came in around 2016 (I remember because the manager was telling us 'ok don't play Pokemon Go on the clock!') before modernization and even then it was better. We lost a lot of people to it...some of the older ones straight up retired.

Most of our "flow team" is comprised of people >50 years old, the store runs on their backs. If they weren't coming in at 2 am they'd be called up for register work too and then nothing would get done.

Everything is rough right now but closing the store is just beyond bad. A few nights ago I actually had no closing expert, no tech, no cart attendant, no market, and two fulfillment tm's who went home an hour before store close. Just a pair of style tms and an understaffed front-of-store. And that was the schedule, no call-offs. While that night was the worst, most nights are only a tiny bit better.

I do think corporate is trying to sink the company, this feels like a managed crash. I find it too hard to believe that we are chasing quarterly results so hard that we're willing to destroy the company's identity in every way.

And maybe it's the most profitable approach. Can you come up with a more profitable reaction to being squeezed out by Amazon on one side and Walmart on the other? I sure as hell can't.

My EXCELLENT Weekday Closing TL is screwed in regards to my department the week before Labor Day.

I am off three weekdays but they also cut 2 1/2 hours off off two of my remaining shifts.

Back