Want to know how bad things are?

Reading these stories makes me glad I'm not Target employed anymore.
Partly because my old store wasn't too far off.
These stories sound similar to what I dealt with. I worked for Target from April 2020-June 1st 2022. So much bs and 2021 was when things started to get really bad for the company. I don’t miss being there. Fuck Target.

Expired by any amount should be removed. Nothing on the floor should be past date. Closest is meat which you can sell day-of, but should be marked down.
And personally, I didn't donate expired dairy. Composted everything.
I dearly wish that was the case. I really really do. the ETL and the SD are completely absorbed with making everything look good for the visits. to the point of just covering up the mold crusted shelves on the floor.

- EDIT -
added an "o" so now 'mold' stands out in it gray green black glory

Last edited:
Yeah I remember when the cart guy was just a cart guy. Now they schedule guys at GS and just have them do carts whenever. We've lost a few Gen Zers (way to go young folks for not putting up with it) because and I quote "this is not the job I applied for"
Sometimes my Gen which is Gen Z, They have their heads in the right place. If they work hard and actually do what they’re supposed to, I’m glad they don’t take shit from managers who expect them to do a lot more.

We can't get a handle on clothes returns. Nether guest services nor style can handle the volume.
Yep. We have to dedicate entire days with both front end TMs and style TMs just for it to be too much to keep up with. At this point, we just defect most style returns because it’s either that or create monstrous piles at GS or the fitting room that are a fulfillment nightmare.

*cracks knuckles* give me a bunch of empty Style racks, a cart full of hangers and get out of my way...I'll call you when racks are ready to roll out!

Seriously, reshop is my jam. The biggest problem we have is lack of TMs to push the stuff out...or lack of TMs who *want* to push it out.

Plus there's the fact that everyone else hates the fitting room and sorting reshop and gladly leaves it for me to deal with, so coming in after a day off is always fun, lol.

When you come in and see the assignment sheet say 4-5 zone (reality takes 2.5 hours), 5-6 push 2 pallets of repack priority pulled from night before, 6-6:30 blitz in market, 6:30-7 push 4 pallets from the line, 7 blitz in fullfilment, lunch, then come back and go to stationary to push 2 pallets
So unrealistic expectation

Yeah I remember when the cart guy was just a cart guy. Now they schedule guys at GS and just have them do carts whenever. We've lost a few Gen Zers (way to go young folks for not putting up with it) because and I quote "this is not the job I applied for"
I love when companies do that and call it "and other duties as assigned".

We had a dairy person that transferred to fulfillment.

He was then told to push truck, do pulls, etc.

He complained about that and management said there were "no hours in fulfillment."

He walked out the door.

Last edited:
There used to be a fitting room person whose JOB it was to do this but no, we'd better cut the position and just make everyone do it

I forgot about that position being eliminated.
Was it ever officially eliminated? When I'm scheduled that's what I am, FR/reshop is first priority. They have a day person who does it too, though not every day and frankly, not that well, lol. But we were never told that it doesn't exist - they just stopped assigning us departments on the schedule and either tell those who need to be told where to go when they come in, or let us figure it out ourselves.

Was it ever officially eliminated? When I'm scheduled that's what I am, FR/reshop is first priority. They have a day person who does it too, though not every day and frankly, not that well, lol. But we were never told that it doesn't exist - they just stopped assigning us departments on the schedule and either tell those who need to be told where to go when they come in, or let us figure it out ourselves.
I think it is more cutting hours so you can't have a TM doing that only.

I think for our store the "old guard" that is employees who have been there for ages are the only reason things aren't worse. Cashiers come and go but a lot of the truck team has been around since the store opened 20 years ago. There's virtually no one with that up front.

Cashiers tend to last a while, but we've been losing people lately. Lots of call outs.

I'm told that corporate said "we weren't writing enough people up" and that's why they're cracking down on EVERYTHING now. The thumbscrews keep tightening. Fulfillment is king. Cashiers are pulled for FF which means floor people are pulled for cashiering. I've even seen TLs and ETLs man registers or do FF.

How much longer can this go on?
Not writing enough people up...ok. Now it makes more sense why after over 5 years of smooth sailing I get CA s thrown at me like confetti in my 6th year. TM Training, actual floor training, not computerized lessons, is old school at my store. About a handful of tm s can float anywhere and all the newbies( year or less) don't respond for backup and/or lean on the Service Desk and whirl their water bottles or chit chat while that handful of us sweats buckets all night. That, and now hba as well as electronics have keys for locked merch and doorbells to answer...that takes us off the backup for FF and register. Yet leadership can yuk it up for 20 minutes at Starbucks all the while lines are out of control, red lights at sco, and " can someone grab that grocery batch it's at 7 minutes", d up whose got that order going into 3 minutes...get the eff off your ass and help. Honestly the tls change an endcap and have to slap each other on the back for 20 minutes....I could do 3 in the time it takes them to do 1 and they rarely pull their own batches or backstock. It's the business model and / or inept interpretation and oversight that's driven tm turnover and stores to look like an after Xmas sale frenzy.

Everything is rough right now but closing the store is just beyond bad. A few nights ago I actually had no closing expert, no tech, no cart attendant, no market, and two fulfillment tm's who went home an hour before store close. Just a pair of style tms and an understaffed front-of-store. And that was the schedule, no call-offs. While that night was the worst, most nights are only a tiny bit better.

I do think corporate is trying to sink the company, this feels like a managed crash. I find it too hard to believe that we are chasing quarterly results so hard that we're willing to destroy the company's identity in every way.

And maybe it's the most profitable approach. Can you come up with a more profitable reaction to being squeezed out by Amazon on one side and Walmart on the other? I sure as hell can't.
Agreed. Walkway Executives. Our store identity with teens is " 5 finger discount " Fridays, and Early Out Tuesdays are shaving cream and nail polish play with optional sugar scrup sensory table time. We've become a one stop- at any moment guests pop open a can of deoderant or hairspray.to freshen themselves up while shopping leaving the rest of us inhaling the aerosol for hours, or they dab on a little Beloved or eucerin cause they re skins dry...then walk out. Unbelievable antisocial germ spreading tamper ers. Shopping sociopaths know they can't/wont be stopped cause gad, don't offend a "guest" or they ll " email corporate"
Lol. Corporate so doesn't care about either tm or guest.

Nonsense, you can get it done! Good job team! Orange you glad it's Friday???

Listen, we really need you to move faster. The lines are really long right now and I know you know how important it is for the guest experience that they don't have to wait too long. Look at this chart, our scores are (whatever), we want them to be (too high). You can do it!
At the end of the day, the fall out is on leadership. Thus the evolution of quiet quitting by over worked underappreciated($$) employees and lots of visits for their tone deaf out of touch Leadership.

We can't get a handle on clothes returns. Nether guest services nor style can handle the volume.
We defect everything at GS that would go online only sale price when returned. Cut style go backs in half in a week. Yet they still complain. Geeze. It's folding shirts. It's the go-to work station for every SD I v worked with. Lol. Criss cross applesauce on the floor hanging swimsuits as the store collapses around them, lol.

*cracks knuckles* give me a bunch of empty Style racks, a cart full of hangers and get out of my way...I'll call you when racks are ready to roll out!

Seriously, reshop is my jam. The biggest problem we have is lack of TMs to push the stuff out...or lack of TMs who *want* to push it out.

Plus there's the fact that everyone else hates the fitting room and sorting reshop and gladly leaves it for me to deal with, so coming in after a day off is always fun, lol.
This.

TMs have been scolded for talking with other TMs, for not moving with a 'sense of urgency' AT ALL TIMES, being harangued over the walkies so everyone rushes around looking stressed all the time & feeling burnt out.
Guess nobody remembers when we were "fast, fun & friendly" :(

Or sitting down while doing their jobs.
Like sitting down while sorting reshop? Yeah that does not happen at my store lol. I move around constantly, hanging and folding, processing damages and salvage as I find them in the reshop carts, transferring merchandise to the go-back racks, cleaning out the stalls, sorting the hangers, etc. I keep things organized and clear the counter regularly.

Last edited:
Back