Change in store hours

So I found out today Target Circle Week July 7th to the 13th we are opening at 7am instead of 8. Fine. Then we are told it is new permanent opening time. I asked why and was told it’s all about competition. Apparently, without naming Walmart, it has to be Walmart. In my area they dropped being open 24 hours and open at 6. It doesn’t affect me because I am a style dbo and work 4 to 9 am. They will have to schedule cashiers and guest service and more people for fulfillment. I think the store will be dead but I can see du and opu picking up. Also 11 stores in my district and none of them currently open at 7. I’m being told it is all stores but don’t really know or care honestly. Someone in corporate thinks we can make some money. We shall see.

They tried this at my store years ago by staying open later to catch the working folks.
After a couple years of abysmal sales they rolled it back, realizing they were spending more on payroll without the sales dollars to justify it.

Does this also mean the store will be open to 11:00 PM that week for now on afterwards?

We haven't been open that late since before COVID.

Our store did that last Fall for Circle Week and no one was even told until the new schedule came out.

My store has never opened at 7:00 AM except around the Holidays in the past.

Last edited:
Does this also mean the store will be open to 11:00 PM that week for now on afterwards?

We haven't been open that late since before COVID.

Our store did that last Fall for Circle Week and no one was even told until the new schedule came out.

My store has never opened at 7:00 AM except around the Holidays in the past.
No 7 to 10 instead of 8 to 10

First I'm hearing about it. Can't imagine it'll be busy - we don't get a lot of traffic even opening at 8 except for around Christmas when it moves up to 7. I work in the OTC/Personal Care areas and traffic picks up some when the Pharmacy opens at 9, but the rest of the store isn't exactly bustling yet.

Greater Seattle area - glancing at 20 Target stores' hours:
One store is open 07:00 AM to 10:00 PM
Nineteen stores are 08:00 AM to 10:00 PM

I'm 4am start at small format store that's been a 7am opening since setup almost 5yrs ago. Foot traffic is almost non existent til 8am. This seems sus.

there is a document on the workbench with the list of stores that are getting these changes. From what I can tell, volume has a part to do with it but at the same time its probably volume of sales at certain times. My store is only extending hours from 10PM -> 11PM and we're a HV Greatland

Our store is also now opening at 7. We were told on the first day of the time change . No prior communication! But I wonder how the guests knew before the employees !! We have a decent number of people shopping between 7-8!

Our store would've been better off opening at 7 vs. staying open until 11. We don't get anyone in the evenings 9-10 let alone until 11. When we do 7am during Q4 we always get a good bit of people.

My store still opens at 8, although maybe we're staying open later? I should look at the sign on the door. ;-)
When we open at 7 during Q4, there's very little traffic during the week during that first hour, a little more on weekends and it definitely picks up some as we get closer to Christmas. If we do move to opening at 7, I hope we start truck push earlier.

Our store would've been better off opening at 7 vs. staying open until 11. We don't get anyone in the evenings 9-10 let alone until 11. When we do 7am during Q4 we always get a good bit of people.
We unfortunately get a decent amount of people after 9 and it didn't take them long to realize we are open until 11. We always have people up until closing.

Back