Archived So they're threatening to fire cashiers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno where y'all are that you can't be coached for not getting redcards because I have, by a GSTL's own admission, twice.
But they put it under the paperwork for 'not asking' despite her telling me "you are asking, you're just not getting enough".

Did they document that quote?

Did they document that quote?
No idea. I wasn't asked to sign anything and in typical fashion, they don't tell cashiers (or anyone else) a goddamn thing about anything. Honestly I have no idea if I was ever "formally" coached because even though they told me I was (and that once they were doing it to everyone- yes, everyone, over redcards, regardless of how many you got) I was never shown any paperwork or asked to sign anything and I keep hearing mixed signals of whether or not it "counts".

I've stopped caring tbh. Pretty sure I spaced out on the second one because I heard the whole speech about how me not getting redcards was LITERALLY DRIVING THIS COMPANY INTO THE GROUND. The constant threat of termination over someone elses financial decisions has lost its power over me. It's why I'm begging to be trained for salesfloor, though, because maybe it's just my mental illness talking but the prospect of having to ask 200 more people tomorrow about our redcard and having 199 simply ignore everything I say makes me want to shoot myself.

At mine, we get "perks," like an extra break. Of course, those of us in pharmacy can't actually take an extra break, so it doesn't matter if we get 1 or 10....and they can't substitute for something like a drink or anything like that because "it wouldn't be fair," but we "are still expected to participate."

No idea. I wasn't asked to sign anything and in typical fashion, they don't tell cashiers (or anyone else) a goddamn thing about anything. Honestly I have no idea if I was ever "formally" coached because even though they told me I was (and that once they were doing it to everyone- yes, everyone, over redcards, regardless of how many you got) I was never shown any paperwork or asked to sign anything and I keep hearing mixed signals of whether or not it "counts".

I've stopped caring tbh. Pretty sure I spaced out on the second one because I heard the whole speech about how me not getting redcards was LITERALLY DRIVING THIS COMPANY INTO THE GROUND. The constant threat of termination over someone elses financial decisions has lost its power over me. It's why I'm begging to be trained for salesfloor, though, because maybe it's just my mental illness talking but the prospect of having to ask 200 more people tomorrow about our redcard and having 199 simply ignore everything I say makes me want to shoot myself.

Yep, I have panic attacks thinking, "what if I never get another guest to sign up for that stupid card." Ugh. It so isn't worth it.

And yes, it's crappy that they aren't even supposed to let you see the coaching form, much less have you sign anything. In the past we had cashier formally coached for not getting Redcards. And it wasn't for not asking, because these are cashiers who ask every guest. And it was incredibly crappy to see on the bottom of the form, "failure to improve will lead to further disciplinary actions up to and including termination" when team members coached for other things that were within their control (like never being in their damn department when they should be) didn't have the threat of termination on their form.

I have no clue if this is still happening as the TLs seem to have gotten smarter about not saving the coachings on the computer desktop in the TSC.

I'm glad I only do backup cashiering every once in a while when I'm working the carts.
My store is getting self checkout in about 3 months so it's going to be interesting to see how many redcards we get a day will drop.

P.S. A fired cashier can't get the store redcards.

Last edited:
Coaching documents are not meant to be shown, reviewed or signed by team members. You would be safe to assume that if you are pulled into an office for a performance discussion with a TL/ETL it will likely be a documented coaching. (If it's more informal, and a conversation on the sales floor it's likely not going to be documented)...however ASANTS.

A corrective action or counseling will have something you need to sign, however.

Don't be a cashier then. I'm sure flow TMs are quiting and need their spot filled

Coaching documents are not meant to be shown, reviewed or signed by team members. You would be safe to assume that if you are pulled into an office for a performance discussion with a TL/ETL it will likely be a documented coaching. (If it's more informal, and a conversation on the sales floor it's likely not going to be documented)...however ASANTS.

A corrective action or counseling will have something you need to sign, however.
True. If you are pulled in the office, it is most likely a coaching, even though they don't tell you. I think it is unfair, but it is how most leaders are at the stores I worked.

As far as REDcards, they can coach you on "core roles" violations. As a cashier, it is your job to get them. It is unfair, but Target is struggling with guest loyalty. They figure you will spend more money with a REDcard. But, they forget that people still are bruised from the breach.

True. If you are pulled in the office, it is most likely a coaching, even though they don't tell you. I think it is unfair, but it is how most leaders are at the stores I worked.

As far as REDcards, they can coach you on "core roles" violations. As a cashier, it is your job to get them. It is unfair, but Target is struggling with guest loyalty. They figure you will spend more money with a REDcard. But, they forget that people still are bruised from the breach.

I don't really blame the TL's in this, because I know they're just following orders from their ETL (who's following orders from the STL, who's following orders from the DTL, so on and so forth). The people making the rules are so far goddamn removed from the store level it's a joke at this point.

Also I'm gonna have to dispute that- don't know what it says on paper (because, again, fuck showing cashiers literally anything that has to do with our jobs, ever) but I was told in my interview my core role was to ask and inform the guest of how a Redcard will literally change your life and raise Grandma from the dead. So coaching people for asking properly but not getting them is pretty fucking unfair considering it goes exactly against what I was told was my job.

The thought of anyone in upper management caring is funny.

My favorite so far has been .... (on the walkie) Hey team, we are challenging store whatever to see who can get the most redcards today.

It's nice to know that Target sees it's CUSTOMERS as walking wallets and red card applications.

Pretty dehumanizing.
My favorite is when they bribe the cashiers with a prize for whoever gets the most, lol.

My favorite is when they bribe the cashiers with a prize for whoever gets the most, lol.

I like when they do that. Sometimes it's just the push I need to really be a whore and gets those RC sign ups!

God, I HATE that. It feels so fucking demeaning. Me and my coworkers (at least the ones I'm friendly with) do our job regardless of whether there's a prize being dangled in front of us so when they do it it's just saying "We don't actually think you're doing your job so we're going to offer this prize like it's actually going to make a difference~!"

(Sorry I've been such a cranky bitch these last couple posts. Thankfully tomorrows my day off.)

I actually overheard a customer who was quite peeved that we kept bothering her with "Can I help you find something?" They don't realize a lot of people myself included just want to browse and do our thing. I laugh on the inside when these TL's go on a 5 minute long speech about REDcards like you lost them after the 5 second mark. I feel really bad for cashiers and am lucky I don't have to check out that many customers. I ask every time but if I get told no it's no big deal because I'm not a cashier and they aren't depending on me to solely drive their REDcards. It's sad really.

I actually overheard a customer who was quite peeved that we kept bothering her with "Can I help you find something?" They don't realize a lot of people myself included just want to browse and do our thing. I laugh on the inside when these TL's go on a 5 minute long speech about REDcards like you lost them after the 5 second mark. I feel really bad for cashiers and am lucky I don't have to check out that many customers. I ask every time but if I get told no it's no big deal because I'm not a cashier and they aren't depending on me to solely drive their REDcards. It's sad really.

To avoid the 5 minute spiel, I ask, "Are you familiar with out Red Card program?" If it's yes, then nothing more needs to be said. A no will get you a bullet points review of benefits, all 10 seconds. Most of my regulars laugh and waive it off knowing we have to ask, especially when a boss is nearby.

God, I HATE that. It feels so fucking demeaning. Me and my coworkers (at least the ones I'm friendly with) do our job regardless of whether there's a prize being dangled in front of us so when they do it it's just saying "We don't actually think you're doing your job so we're going to offer this prize like it's actually going to make a difference~!"

(Sorry I've been such a cranky bitch these last couple posts. Thankfully tomorrows my day off.)
Yeah, it is demeaning. One time they gave Yankees tickets to whoever got the most, so that was cool. But I felt bad for the other cashiers, especially if they worked just as hard.

To avoid the 5 minute spiel, I ask, "Are you familiar with out Red Card program?" If it's yes, then nothing more needs to be said. A no will get you a bullet points review of benefits, all 10 seconds. Most of my regulars laugh and waive it off knowing we have to ask, especially when a boss is nearby.
I even told one of our TM's when I was off the clock that I would never sign up for a REDcard because he bored me to tears after the first 10 seconds of him explaining to me EVERYTHING the card offered and then went into why cartwheel is awesome.

Yep, I have panic attacks thinking, "what if I never get another guest to sign up for that stupid card." Ugh. It so isn't worth it.

Yep. This is my life every single day at work. They make me feel like I'm an awful human being because my cashiers didn't get many (sometimes zero) REDcards during my shifts as GSA. It's why I cherish my shifts at the service desk, but even some shifts when I am *entirely* at the service desk for the day, they will question why we didn't get many and what it is that I'm doing wrong. They grill us GSTLs/GSAs moreso than the cashiers and we aren't even the ones getting them!

I even told one of our TM's when I was off the clock that I would never sign up for a REDcard because he bored me to tears after the first 10 seconds of him explaining to me EVERYTHING the card offered and then went into why cartwheel is awesome.
Most people who have a smart phone are interested in Cartwheel... when I ask if they have any coupons or discounts the guest usually asks how can they get some, then I explain Cartwheel to them. I should mention this is at the Service Desk, not the registers.

It sucks how the guests can hear all the praises, accolades and rewards that the GSTL will (when someone sells a RC) blurt out over the walkies.

Not cool.

Well the theory is that if our guests can hear REDcard recognition throughout the store, then they will be curious about it and will ask to sign up when they reach the checkout. I'm surprised they haven't resorted to having the fitting room operator get on the PA system and announce a REDcard over the loud speakers. That'd really get everyone's attention!

Most people who have a smart phone are interested in Cartwheel... when I ask if they have any coupons or discounts the guest usually asks how can they get some, then I explain Cartwheel to them. I should mention this is at the Service Desk, not the registers.
This is on the sales floor and it's probably why he never had a good zone done he was too busy chatting people's ears off. I can get people to join cartwheel and get a REDcard without having to give them a 5 page speech. I just think there are easier ways to do it. Also I'm still kind of pissed over our Cartwheel contest prize...50% off a popcorn combo. Wow thanks Target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back